trust issues: ladynoir

this scene takes place after the season 4 episode Rocketear when Chat/Adrien finds out Nino and Alya know are Rena Rouge and Carapace and that they know each other's secret identities.

Ladybug arrived at the patrol meeting spot to find that Chat Noir was nowhere to be found. "Chat?" she called out, getting worried. It wasn't like him to show up late. Suddenly a black figure landed beside her. She let out a sigh of relief.

"Hey Chat! Ready for our patrol?" She asked. Chat avoided looking at her and mumbled "Yeah Ladybug." Ladybug was surprised at being called by her real name, but decided it was best not to question him about it. The rest of the patrol passed dully, with Chat giving dry responses to her questions, not calling her "bugaboo" or "milady", and worst of all he didn't crack a single joke or pun the entire time.

Ladybug knew something was up. "Hey Kitty, you seem a bit off today, do you want to talk about it?" She asked as they neared the end of the patrol. Chat brushed her off, "I'm fine Ladybug." He walked over to the edge of the roof and sat down, his eyes avoiding hers and instead fixed on the darkening sky.

"Ladybug? Since when do you call me Ladybug?" She asked, sitting down next to him. Chat remained silent. This only made her more frustrated. "Kitty! Talk to me, what's going on? This whole time you've been silent and cold and I don't understand why!" She said exasperated.

Chat suddenly looked at her, hurt painted in his features. "You're the one who doesn't understand?! Tell me, Bugaboo-" he said mockingly, "Why am I the last one to get up to speed, huh? Why am I always the one who has to be replaced by new miraculous holders? And tell me why-" he paused, sighing deeply before continuing, " do Carapace and Rena Rouge get to know each other's identities when we don't?"

Ladybug stared in shock at his outburst. She turned away from him, fidgeting with her yoyo. "Um, Chat, h-how do you know that they know each other's identities?" She asked, already dreading his answer. "He told me of course," said Chat angrily, but he calmed himself down as he asked the question he wanted to know the answer to most, "Why is it so hard for us to reveal each other's identities?"

Ladybug winced at his words. "We, we can't." She said her voice breaking, a sudden image of two icy blue eyes in a snow-white suit resurfacing. She couldn't let that happen again. Chat stood up in sadness. "I don't understand. Nino and Alya are couples in real life and as superheroes. And they are perfectly happy, we can have that as well." He said, reaching out for her hand.

Ladybug jerked away from him. "We're not a couple Chat! I don't love you!" She yelled but instantly regretted it. Chat stepped back, his brows furrowing, and he felt his heart shatter into a trillion pieces.

"I've given you everything Ladybug. I've told you that I love you a million times before and each time you keep on rejecting me. You say you love this other boy but does he love you as much as I do? Do you know how long my heart has been broken? Do you know how hard rejection is?" Chat said, tears welling up at the corners of his eyes. "Chat- I didn't mean-" started Ladybug.

"I don't care what you meant because we both know it's true. You'll never love me more than a partner. Hell, you don't even love me as a partner. It seems like every single time now that there is a new supervillain you decide to hand out a new miraculous to someone else. Does it e ven make a difference now whether you have me or not?" He gasped for breath. His anger and heartbreak were making him ache. Ladybug tried to say something, but Chat continued.

"You even revealed your identity to someone else. Tell me, if Scarabella ( watch Hack-san to understand) hadn't appeared, how long were you willing to keep that a secret from me? Do you even trust me anymore?" He asked, shaking his head, tears spilling out of his eyes.

"Chat, of course I trust you." said Ladybug, her emotions running wild. She wanted to reach out to him and tell him how much he meant to her, but she knew that he wouldn't believe her anyway.

"Then tell me who you are," said Chat quietly, finally meeting his lady's eyes.

Ladybug's heart wanted to tell him, but her mind drifted back to the figure in white. She shook her head. "I can't," she replied.

Chat looked at her painfully. "Then I guess you leave me no choice." Ladybug watched with horror as Chat reached for his ring. "Chat, no!" She said, but it was too late.

Adrien Agreste stood before her, a black ring in his hand. "Plagg, I renounce you." He said. He turned to Ladybug. Her face was pale, and her eyes were glazed over in shock.

"You need someone you can trust," said Adrien, as he placed the miraculous in her hand.

"And it's not me."

(A/N: this is so sad :( but like I kind of get where he's coming from tbh like I would be kinda pissed if ladybug didn't tell me everything but yeah. anyways I know there wasn't a lot of "chemistry" but i promise there will be some in the next one)