5. Journey to the Past pt. 1

Flashback

It's official. Paul is her guardian now. After a quick background check, the social worker allowed him to take Sofia home because he was "trustworthy".

Sofia was about to learn how false it was very soon.

The day after her mother's death she didn't feel like getting out of bed but she did that anyway.

She checked her phone (it was always the first thing she did in the morning) just to see that she has several missing calls from her best friend. Elio. Such a sweet name. She decided to call him back later, she wasn't feeling like talking right now, she would turn into a sobbing mess.

"Where are you going?" Paul asked, surprised to see Sofia fully ready to go outside.

"To school" she replied shortly.

"Today? Are you sure? You should stay at home for at least a few days" Paul said.

"I don't want to stay home," Sofia said stubbornly, not looking at him.

"Okay, just call me if things become too much," he said in what sounded like a compassionate voice.

🔆🔆🔆

As soon as Sofia arrived at school Nadia, her friend hugged her.

"Baby, I'm so sorry about your mom," she said. Sofia instantly started tearing up and hugged her friend back

"I don't know what am I going to do now Nadia"

"You will get through this. I know you will. You're the strongest person I know" she whispered still holding Sofia in her embrace.

They had to pull away from each other when the bell rang for the class to begin. But Nadia stopped Sofia from going inside.

Sofia gave her friend a questioning look. "What is it?"

"I know it's a bad time but have you seen Elio? I'm sorry but he's not picking up my calls and I'm worried"

"He called me yesterday late at night I couldn't talk to him"

"Ms. Johnson, Ms. Sanzaro class already started. Get in quickly" the math teacher rushed them. His voice was unnaturally cold. He wasn't usually this stiff.

Sofia assumed that she's about to give her condolences in front of everyone, she wasn't looking forward to it but no. It was so much worse.

"I'm sorry about your mother Sofia I'm afraid it's not the end of bad news Elio Harper has been reported missing yesterday. Police asked me to inform you that they will be grateful for any information about his whereabouts if anyone knows something please report to me after class"

It doesn't make sense yesterday mom dies today my friend goes missing why? Why was this happening?

Sofia could no longer take it. She stood up abruptly from her chair and ran out of the classroom.

All she could hear was Nadia's voice yelling "Sofia wait!"

But she didn't wait.

She has never run so fast in her entire life. But this time she had to, she had to escape her reality that seemed to turn into hell.

Sofia gave Elio a call. Another one. And another. He received 68 unanswered in total from her. No response.

Sofia checked the place they would often go to. Their favorite coffee shop, park, hell even the damn playground where they played as kids. Nothing.

Her childhood friend, Elio. Why did he call yesterday? Why didn't she pick up the damn phone? He can't be gone too. It's like a nightmare. She wants to wake up. Someone should wake her up right now.

🔆🔆🔆

"Where have you been?" Paul asked in a confrontational voice after Sofia came back home from her search. It's been hours.

"Elio went missing I know it's stupid but I was trying to find him," she said crying.

Paul hugged her and Sofia instinctively "It's not stupid," Paul said ignoring her discomfort at his touch "I'm so sorry your friend got lost. But please never run away like that. I've been worried sick," he said. She quickly pulled away from him and was about to go to her room when he stopped her.

"Sofia, I know this might not be the right time but there's something I need to talk with you about and it cannot wait"

Her stomach dropped. "What is it?" She asked anxiously.

"Your mother's business"

"No. Not now" Sofia whined. Is he really bringing up the money now?

"If I could postpone it I would but we need to speak about it now. I don't want to sell something your mother took so much energy and time to build. I've received a business proposal to turn the restaurant into a nightclub. I have the investor who will help to lift this place so we don't need to sell the building-"

"I'm sorry do you really have to-"

"The meeting is in an hour"

"I- just do what you want," Sofia said giving up already. She turned around and started walking briskly towards her bedroom. She just wanted to sleep. She didn't care about that stupid restaurant anyway.

🔆🔆🔆

Three days have passed and Elio was still gone.

Sofia went to school normally for these last few days but her mental state was getting worse with each day. That day she decided to stay at home. She was too tired and unmotivated to get out of bed. She was slowly losing the last reserves of her energy.

Paul, disappeared again for days he was unreachable on the phone. It was the best time for Sofia, she didn't need to worry about anyone supervising her to make sure she functions. Sweet.

"Open the fucking door, Sofia!" First Sofia was terrified that someone is yelling. Then she recognizes the voice. It was Elio's brother. Carl. He left the city two years ago. He went to NYU. Did he come back all this way to look for Elio? Yes, it makes sense. They were not only siblings but also best friends.

He's about to break the door. Sofia decided to go downstairs quickly and open the door for him thanking God that Paul isn't home.

"Carl?"

"What did you do to him?!" he grabbed her tightly and started shaking her violently. "What did you do to my brother?!"

🔆🔆🔆

Hi guy,
There's one more part of the Journey to the Past.

I hope you don't mind me adding these flashbacks I want to explain well what is the reason for Sofia's escape plan. I know I'm dragging on the beginning but I'm really trying to make this brothers' story unique. I don't want to introduce all the characters at the same time I will take my time with it. Hopefully, the end result will be interesting.

Lots of love to my readers who are here for me and support me whenever I doubt myself. Without you guys, I wouldn't be writing at all.