25. Reunited

Sofia was a shy person and she would prefer to remain invisible at school. On the other hand, Valentino was loud and everything about him screamed: I will be the center of attention.

Her brief conversation with Bruno indicated that Valentino is in fact is very popular in school. The exact opposite of Sofia who was always a quiet kid that's in the background, several times teachers forgot what her name was.

"Listen" Sofia started awkwardly. She had no idea how to say it. They were driving to her first official day in school. "We don't need to hang out in school at all. Just ignore me, okay?"

"Are you worried I will embarrass you, little sis?" Valentino grinned at Sofia completely not feeling as to why she made that request.

"Should I?" Sofia asked, her voice laced with suspicion.

"Yes," Valentino responded right away with a grin on his face.

"Well, thanks for helping to calm my nerves on my first day," Sofia said sarcastically.

"It's not your first day" He remained her. Th, smart ass.

"Yeah but I'd rather forget about the last time" Sofia responded. Valentino went quiet and she realized that he might still feel guilty over threatening her that day so she added "Because at that time I was completely alone in a foreign country with a crazy goal to find my family I wasn't sure if I even have one. I had no idea how you will react to my presence, I didn't know if I will be allowed to stay at your place or even get in contact with you" she added.

Valentino shook his head "So my terrible reaction has made everything worse. I'm sorry"

"It's okay," she said quietly "I mean it turned out alright didn't it?"

He grinned at her last remark "Well, you're right about that. I promise to play my role of annoying older brother well, you won't be alone anymore"

Something about what he said touched her heart and she had to stop herself from tearing up like a loser.

"I thought it's a younger sibling that's supposed to be the annoying one?" she asked dryly.

"We don't follow stereotypes in this family. It's my older brothers who are the irritating ones" Valentino responded "just don't tell them that" he quickly added.

Francesco and Alessandro irritating? They were so intimidating figures she couldn't imagine calling them in such a casual term. But now that Valentino did it sounds hilarious.

"I don't know, my tongue might slip" Sofia sent him a mischievous smirk.

"Let me tell you how siblings thing works. You get me in trouble I get you in trouble with return"

"How the hell would you do that? It's not like I said anything bad about Alessandro or Francesco"

"Yet. A matter of time until those two will piss you off. Trust me on that. Besides I'm creative I can get you in trouble in many ways" Valentino explained slowly as if he was speaking to a child.

Sofia learned that day that Valentino could threaten a person with the same cheery voice he used for telling jokes. How terrifying.

🔆🔆🔆

The moment they arrived at school Valentino went to the second part of the building where the higher classes had lessons. He told Sofia that they would see each other only at the lunch break and left her at the school secretary's office where she received her lesson schedule. It was Tuesday and she was starting with math. She went visibly pale when she saw that her last lesson is PE. She would have to lie that she forgot her uniform, she couldn't change without revealing her wounds.

Her worries lessened when she saw a familiar face.

"Sofia?! W-wait, what are you doing here?" His eyes were wide, her presence was surely a big surprise.

"Bruno!" Sofia was so happy to see him she gave him a quick bear hug which he returned after the initial shock has passed. Sofia continued speaking "I'm sorry I didn't show up at Nonna's place and thank you so much for everything you did for me"

"We've been both worried sick about you I'm so glad you're okay. Does your uniform mean-"

"I am a new student," Sofia said and she smiled widely. She should've tried to contact him earlier she didn't know he'd care so much. It was nice to start school with already having a friend.

"That's wonderful!" The corners of his lips lifted.

Sofia looked at him as if she saw him for the first time. He looked happy. Why? He only saw her for a few hours? Sofia cursed herself for blushing. So weird. But she realized that Bruno was handsome. She realized it just now because before she was too busy running away from Paul. But Bruno's eyes had beautiful emerald color. Staring is rude, she knows but it's also rude to be this pretty. No, she had to stop thinking about him like that. They were just friends.

Bruno continued speaking "I've been worried about you"

"But why? You said you don't want anything to do with my situation?"

"And later I offered you a place to sleep and you accepted. I was waiting for you so it's only natural started worrying, okay?" He said looking away. Perhaps Sofia was seeing things or his cheeks became tinted in a subtle red shade."Where have you been? I saw your face on TV that night and several scenarios went through my head"

"I decided I can't go to your place because the police might find me if I do and I also didn't know if I'm still invited so I decided to sleep in the local park. Anyways long story short police found me, I was forced to meet my step-father. But because you helped me to find Valentino his older brother Alessandro showed up. Believe it or not but you saved my life, Bruno. Thank you"

"Is your step-father a dangerous person?"

"Yes"

"That explains a lot. But I assume Iannielli dealt with him"

"Alessandro said he's being taken care of but I'm not sure what he meant by that"

"Don't ask. Knowledge not always is power"

"What?" Sofia looked him straight in the eye and oh, he had such beautiful eyes.

Sofia wanted to ask him what does he mean by that but the bell rang for the class to begin.