47. Introducing Dogs to Cats

Alessio was one year older than Valentino and two years older than Sofia, which meant he was 19 and it was his last year of high school. He was taller than Valentino but his muscles were less visible. His brown locks had the exact same dark shade as Sofia's hair. His eyes had a pretty green colour and they were shining dangerously with anger as he came closer to his sister.

It has been barely the second week of school and Sofia rarely had time to observe him but when she could, she did. She was curious. Not curious enough to approach him, obviously. Interestingly had no group of followers like Valentino but he carried himself with confidence and pride that was unmatched.

Now he was standing right in front of her.

"Why the hell are you putting yourself in front of me like that? Do you want to get hurt?" He asked in a threatening voice while looking down on her. She was almost head shorter than him.

"I just don't want you to hurt Bruno," she said, bravely. Too bravely and it only irritated him more.

"What do you think would happen to you if I attacked him despite you standing in my way? What if one of us hits you by an accident? " It sounded more like a scolding than actual insults.

While he was speaking angrily Valentino appeared. "Hey, back off"' Valentino said and pulled Sofia out of Alessio's grasp in mere seconds.

Suddenly anger was gone from Alessio's eyes. But that was worse because it was replaced with nothing. No emotion. He was just watching Valentino like a wolf would watch his prey before jumping to its neck.

"Hey, Ianniello" he started with a cold, indifferent voice, with hands in his pockets. Sofia decided that he looked kinda cool. "You know whom you can order around? That group of dogs that follows you wherever you go" he said in an almost lazy manner while pointing with his head the group of Valentino's friends. "Now kindly fuck off because I'm not done with her yet"

"Oh, you're done with her. For good. Don't speak to her. Don't even look at her" Valentino said sharply.

Sofia was certain Alessio is experiencing something akin to cold fury.

She was internally panicking as both of her brothers apparently had a relationship dynamic similar to a stray cat and an off-leash dog. It was not good. She was surprised to note that they're not physically fighting yet. Something was stopping them.

Sofia tried to subtly place herself between them just for safety reasons but both of her brothers yelled at the same time "Don't!" She jumped in fear, then she noted how gave each other glances with a mix of surprise and irritation.

Maybe it was better that they would never live together because having them both ganking up on her was nerve wrenching experience.

"How can I not look at her if she puts herself between every person that wants to break Neri's neck?" Alessio raised his eyebrows as he clearly referred to the scene that took place at the cafeteria. That remark also prompted Valentino to recall that he's pissed off at Bruno at the moment.

"Neri, what the fuck is wrong with you to have you decided to lose your life today?" Valentino asked irritated by the boy's bizarre behaviour.

Not only Bruno was yelling at her sister he also was the direct reason why she had an encounter with Alessio. Now he really needed to punch him.

Bruno on the other hand had no idea how to respond or escape the situation he was in.

"Neri, how does it feel to have a guardian angel in the material form?" Alessio asked conversationally while looking at Sofia. Oh, Bruno was so screwed and so was she.

"I just-" Bruno started but his mouth went dry.

"You just what?" Alessio asked casually. "You decided you're going to hide behind the girl? Where are your balls?"

"He didn't ask for my help" Sofia tried t defend him "You can't hurt him he didn't do anything wrong! That situation with Cynthia was just a misunderstanding" Sofia stated firmly. Maybe she didn't know how to fight for herself but she knew how to fight for others.

"That's why she screamed and cried? An accident?" To Alessio it was ridiculous. He didn't appreciate being lied to.

"Cynthia," Sofia said addressing the only figure who didn't speak a word as the situation was unfolding. She was just standing there unsure what to do. But when Sofia addressed her she looked up to meet her eyes "It was an accident right? A misunderstanding" Sofia said sharply, looking at the girl intensely. She was never this confident when defending herself but it was about Burno.

Clearly, Cynthia understood well that if she won't let this go Sofia will just going to tell on her.

"Totally. Sorry, I overreacted"

"Who do you think you can lie to?" Alessio asked quietly and Cynthia took a step back. This is the first time Sofia saw her tormentor genuinely afraid, like on the verge of tears.

"I am sorry" she choked out quietly. That's the only thing she could say before Mr Ricci miraculous appearance that saved them all "Is there a problem?" He asked.

"No," everyone said simultaneously.

"Lessons finished 40 minutes ago what do you think you're doing here?" he didn't believe them, of course. Mr Ricci was rather a strict teacher and seeing his posture with arms crossed over his chest no one was keen on fighting him today.

"We're just going home, sir," Bruno said volunteering to be the one who politely apologizes for any trouble.

"Let's go," Valentino said quietly, directing his words only to Sofia. "You're driving with me today"

"Don't you have a soccer practice today?" Sofia asked.

"I'm skipping," he said shortly.

Oh shit. Was it because of her? Valentino looked angry and she felt horrible. She was about to follow her brother wordlessly when she stopped abruptly.

Valentino stopped too and gave her a questioning look.

She glanced at Bruno. She was incredibly worried about what will happen to her friend if she leaves him alone right now. Sofia couldn't in good conscience let him stay here with Alessio who was looking at her friend with a scary expression. No way.

"Can Bruno come over to our house?" Sofia fired up without thinking. 

"What?!" Two boys asked simultaneously, they looked shocked.

"Please?" Sofia pleaded.

"No, Sofia waits-" Bruno started but he was interrupted.

Sofia went rigid when she saw Alessio shaking his head and smiling at her. His expression was screaming: I know what you did but instead of commenting on it he just left the scene, commanding Cynthia to follow him. Which she did without a word of protest. Her good behaviour was so out of character it was concerning. Soon Cynthia and Alessio were out of the picture, Mrs Ricci as well. But the teacher left only after letting them know that he's going to keep an eye on them in the future.

"Actually, that's an excellent idea," Valentino said, referring to Sofia's question about Bruno's visit to her house. A mischievous gleam in his eyes was a bit concerning but there was no backing down now.

Author's note

Poor Bruno can't take a break! But on the other hand, he's going to visit Sofia's house.

Let me know guys, what's your first impression of Alessio.