73. Things Getting Better

When they finished eating dinner Sofia could still feel the tension. The room was surrounded by awkward silence and she didn't dare to start the discussion in fear that he brothers will start arguing again.

When they finished eating and the sound of clinking cutlery stopped, Alessandro said "Thank you for inviting us, we will be heading home now. Sofia-"

"-is staying here" Rosario finished for him.

Everyone looked at Rosario with tiredness. Sofia on the other hand could feel that another storm is coming.

Before they could start arguing she said  "I want to stay here tonight. Tomorrow morning I will go back home to pack, right? "

Her brothers looked at her with surprise.

"Why on earth would you want to stay here?" Valentino asked, "Is she having Stockholm syndrome?" he asked Alessandro who didn't dignify his remark with a response. 

"Why do you want to stay?" Alessandro asked, clearly unhappy with her request. 

"I need to talk to Rosario" she mumbled.

"Oh I'm honoured," Rosario said with satisfaction, it felt like he was mocking everyone at that moment.

"That's fine" Alessandro replied, his dark expression disappearing. "We will see each other tomorrow," Alessandro said with gentleness and kissed her forehead. Then she received hugs from Francesco and Valentino and she was once again alone with Denaro brothers. 

The moment Ianniellos left Sofia turned to Rosario and said "We really need to talk. Alone"

"Of course, let me invite you to my office then, ladies first," he said and made an inviting gesture with his hand. Sofia had to stop herself from rolling her eyes in reaction to his grotesque behaviour. Regardless... She felt at peace now. Her family was not fighting anymore. At least temporarily.

When Sofia followed him wordlessly she could take a moment to take a good look at the house. It felt a bit like a modern art gallery with white and black being dominating colours and expensive pop art paintings were hanging on the walls. 

It was luxurious, modern and... cold. 

She wondered how is their new house going to look like because this house was the opposition to the historical mansions Ianniellos were living in. 

"I have a request," Sofia said shyly right after they entered the office. 

"Yes?" Rosario asked, he leaned over his desk and looked at her with unhidden interest. 

"Allow Cynthia to come back home" Sofia pleaded. This is why she had to stay for tonight. She made a promise and no matter how bad she felt about it she's going to keep it. 

There was a pause, silence. Surprise slowly turned into an annoyed expression.

"Why on earth would I do that?" Rosario's eyes hardened. Sofia shivered.

"She told me your address. She's the only reason why I found you and I promised her that she will be able to come back home" she explained, trying to not feel intimidated.

"That's all? Not good enough" he said firmly.

"Good enough for me. She helped me and I promised to help her" Sofia insisted.

"She used your desperation" he scoffed.

"It doesn't matter. I can handle her now. I'm not the person I was when she bullied me, so many things have happened. Be honest would she bully me if she knew I'm her cousin?" Sofia asked.