29. Money and Power

Dear readers,
Comments are always appreciated. I hope you will enjoy this chapter ❤️

🌑🌑🌑

It was Friday.

Sofia was lying on her bed and reading a book since from now on she will be expected to know things about Italian history. And she didn't know anything, she didn't know shit and it irked her. In school, it's going to be a disaster.

Her alone time was interrupted by Francesco's visit to her room.

He was wearing black pants and a dark brown shirt with short sleeves that partly revealed his black tattoo which portrayed a geometric pattern. To be honest, Sofia was surprised to learn that Francesco had a tattoo, he didn't seem like the type of person who would. But she didn't know him that well and it was... sad.

"Good news Fia. We found a bodyguard for you" he said and sat on the edge of her bed.

"Fia?" Sofia asked confused.

"You don't like your new nickname?" He asked innocently. After he said that Sofia could feel warmth spreading all over her chest. Her brother gave her a nickname. That was so awesome.

"I love it," she said honestly but then her eyebrows furrowed "Wait, wait. How is a bodyguard the good news for me? How dangerous can it be to belong to this family?" she joked but Francesco didn't even smile in response. His brown eyes became darker, colder as he was looking at her with intense seriousness.

"Sofia, we're one of the wealthiest families in the country. I need you to understand that your safety is a very serious subject" he touched both of her hands gently and looked her in the eyes. "Some people want money and power of our family. Bodyguard is nothing, he will just ensure physical protection in some cases but I need you to care about your safety and be careful and use your brain. Do you understand?"

Sofia was trapped in Francesco's intense gaze. She found herself nodding.

"Good," he said curtly, then an authentic smile showed on his lips. "By the way, I'd be excited about your place"

"And why is that?" Sofia asked with her arms crossed.

"Because dear sister now you're allowed to go out of the house alone" Francesco explained patiently

"Alone with the bodyguard," she said dryly.

"You can treat him like air, he won't bother you at all unless you're in danger. Plus he will drive you anywhere you want"

"But I will be followed anywhere I go. Zero privacy"  She wanted to be grateful for everything that has been done for her but she was an introverted person. She loved to be alone too much to accept this so easily.

"I know this must be hard for you but trust me you will get used to Raul's presence in a week or two you won't even remember that he exists"

"And he's going to take me anywhere I want?" Sofia asked hopefully trying to see a silver lining.

Francesco looked at her and his eyes narrowed "okay. Maybe not everywhere. Make sure any place you go to is safe and age-appropriate" he warned.

"Wait!" Sofia said in an excited voice she just realized something "Here people over 18 can drink alcohol!" She had just a year. Just a year and she will legally purchase beer and go to a night club.

"Yes," Francesco agreed calmly. "But that doesn't mean we will be okay with you drinking irresponsibly" he warned.

"Fine, I know" Sofia sighed not wanting to argue with him. Technically they won't have any power over her after she's 18 but she didn't want to point that out, she felt as if it would start another battle. "If I have a bodyguard I don't need to let you guys know that I'm leaving the house from now on, right?" She asked trying to figure out how much freedom she has now.

"It would be nice if you did"

Shit. It was Francesco's way of saying that she has to tell them.

"Let's go, let me introduce you to Raul"

🌑🌑🌑

When they went downstairs someone was already there. A stranger who was supposed to be following Sofia like a shadow.

"Sofia, this is Raul. Raul, Sofia"

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Raul"

"Likewise Ms. Sanzaro"

"Can you use my name? If it's not a problem?" Sofia asked carefully. She was instantly worried that she offended him by using his first name but Francesco didn't say what his surname was.

"If Mr. Ianniello is alright with it"

"It's fine, Raul"

"Thank you," Sofia said to her brother "So can I really go out now?" Sofia asked she couldn't contain her excitement.

"Feel free. Just don't come back too late" Francesco said amused by her eagerness.

"Okay, okay" Sofia responded quickly.

"Oh wait I almost forgot" Francesco stopped her from leaving. Sofia gave him a questioning look.

He handed her a black credit card "Have fun. The code is the day and month of your first arrival to Catania" he winked and she started at the black and gold piece of plastic in her hands.

"You're just giving it to me?"

"Of course, you thought were going to let you walk around without cash?

"I mean..." she started awkwardly you're already providing for me I have more than I could ever want so it's really not that necessary, I don't need it," she said and tried to hand it back to Francesco.

Sofia couldn't waste any more of her brothers' money they had already given so much to her. The guilt would eat her away.

"Then how are you planning to buy things for yourself if you don't want the money?" Francesco asked with his arms crossed. He clearly didn't understand her behavior.

"I was thinking about looking for a part-time job maybe?"

Francesco's eyes hardened. "Sofia I already told you we're very wealthy. You most definitely won't have a part-time job so quit speaking about it"

"But-"

"Do you want me to ask Alessandro to explain it to you?" Francesco was challenged with a strict voice.

"No. I'm sorry" it was bad enough that Francesco was frustrated with her, she didn't need to antagonize Alessandro as well who was extra scary.

"As an apology, you need to run an errand for me"

"What sort of errand?"

"Use the card I gave you and spend some money"

🌑🌑🌑
Author's note:
Hi guys!
How are you feeling about Sofia's new nickname? Also please let me know what do you think about the whole chapter I am really curious about your opinions.