46. Two can keep a secret if...

Alessio Denaro is what you would call a "lone wolf".

He is a quiet person, with a scary reputation and an intelligent glint in his eyes.

His solitude was entirely his choice. It's not like people were trying to avoid his company, au contraire they would love to become his friends, there was only one problem. Alessio wasn't interested in friendships. People to him were incredibly boring to him like everything else in this school including classes that were not up to his level.

Today, as every day he was sitting at his table, chilling and enjoying his book. Lately, he was hooked up on Heidegger, he didn't know why exactly. Maybe because the less he understood something the more he was invested in trying to figure it out.

But then something unusual happened.

One overheard sentence changed Alessio's life "Why are you raising your voice at my sister".

As the scene was unfolding in front of him, Alessio was carefully analyzing everything. He took a good look at the girl who was standing in between two angry men. She was clearly careless about her safety. Sofia meant wisdom but she couldn't be very wise if she was risking getting hit by a random guy.

He focused on her features. She was a short and frail-looking girl. Her dark brown eyes had the same shade as her brother's but her dark-brown hair weren't matching the classic Ianniello look. Their brown hair had a very light shade falling into dark blond. Sofia on the other hand had hair with a deep shade of brown, they were almost black. Like his. He took a better look at her face and he could see the resemblance to the old pictures of his father. This can't be.

She couldn't possibly be his long lost sister, right? She wouldn't be just standing there like that, casually, in front of Alessio's eyes. As if she had any right to appear unannounced, without any grand opening, the sky was not falling. She was just there. A normal girl.

Blonde haired Catarina Sanzaro was the love of his father's life. The love that disappeared without a trace one day. But before she disappeared she cheerily announced to his father that she's pregnant with a baby girl. Because she didn't know back then that they won't be having their happy ending. Not if Giorgio Ianniello has a say and unfortunately he did.

Catarina's disappearance took place when Alessio was 2 years old so naturally, he didn't remember that. But Catarina's ghost was living with them even when she was gone. His father got obsessed with finding his only daughter and her mother. It was his life goal, a goal that at the end of the day remained unfulfilled. At the end of his life, he didn't get to see his daughter there was no happy ending for his struggle.

So when he saw his sister next to Ianniello he got positively murderous. He realized in a split second that Ianniellos were intentionally keeping her away from him and his older brothers.

Alessio was a level-headed, analytical mind. Always coldly assessing the situation, carefully crafting his next course of action. But today he saw red.

Ianniellos will pay for this.

***

When Sofia left the cafeteria she wanted nothing but to finish her last lesson and go home but of course, Cynthia has to appear in the corridor as if she was the final boss in the videogame.