15.

The princess gestured toward the cosmetics counter. "Shall we start with the potions?"

"Cool," Muscle Boy said.

"I hate potions," Eden muttered, but walked toward them anyway.

"Guys," Kaleidoscope interrupted, but Eden kept walking anyway because fuck her, despite the fact that she could still hear her. "we're here to get the storm spirits and Coach Hedge. If this — princess — is really our friend—"

"Oh, I'm better than a friend, my dear," Her Highness said. "I'm a saleswoman." Her diamonds sparkled, and her eyes glittered. "Don't worry. We'll work our way down to the first floor, eh?"

Fire Boy nodded eagerly. "Sure, yeah! That sounds okay. Right, Piper?"

"Of course it's okay." Her Highness put her hands on Fire Boy and Perfect Jason's shoulders and steered them toward the cosmetics, where Eden was already going. "Come along, boys."

"And here," the princess said, "is the finest assortment of magical mixtures anywhere."

The counter was crammed with bubbling beakers and smoking vials on tripods. Lining the display shelves were crystal flasks — some shaped like swans or honey bear dispensers. The liquids inside were every color, from glowing white to polka-dotted. And the smells — ugh! Some were pleasant, like fresh-baked cookies or roses, but they were mixed with the scents of burning tires, skunk spray, and gym lockers.

The princess pointed to a bloodred vial — a simple test tube with a cork stopper. "This one will heal any disease."

"Even cancer?" Leo asked. "Leprosy? Hangnails?"

"Any disease, sweet boy. And this vial" — she pointed to a swan-shaped container with blue liquid inside — "will kill you very painfully."

"Awesome," Eden said, bouncing up and down. She loved things that killed people very painfully. Eden quite liked killing things.

"Eden," Kaleidoscope said. "We've got a job to do. Remember?"

"Job to do," Eden turned to her. "Sure. But shopping first, okay?"

The princess beamed at her. "Then we have potions for resisting fire—"

"Got that covered," Fire Boy said.

"Indeed?" The princess studied Fire Boy's face more closely. "You don't appear to be wearing my trademark sunscreen . . . but no matter. We also have potions that cause blindness, insanity, sleep, or—"

"Wait." Pretty Girl was still staring at the red vial. "Could that potion cure lost memory?"

The princess narrowed her eyes. "Possibly. Yes. Quite possibly. Why, my dear? Have you forgotten something important?"

"How much?" Pretty Girl asked.

The princess got a faraway look in her eyes. "Well, now . . . The price is always tricky. I love helping people. Honestly, I do. And I always keep my bargains, but sometimes people try to cheat me." Her gaze drifted to Perfect Jason. "Once, for instance, I met a handsome young man who wanted a treasure from my father's kingdom. We made a bargain, and I promised to help him steal it."

"From your own dad?" Perfect Jason asked.

"Oh, don't worry," the princess said. "I demanded a high price. The young man had to take me away with him. He was quite good-looking, dashing, strong . . ." She looked at Kaleidoscope. "I'm sure, my dear, you understand how one might be attracted to such a hero, and want to help him."

"At any rate," Her Highness continued, "my hero had to do many impossible tasks, and I'm not bragging when I say he couldn't have done them without me. I betrayed my own family to win the hero his prize. And still he cheated me of my payment."