62.

EDEN HATED IT HERE.

The basin filled with alarming speed. Eden, Piper, Perfect Jason, and Percy pounded on the walls, looking for an exit, but they found nothing. They climbed into the alcoves to gain some height, but with water pouring out of each niche, it was like trying to balance at the edge of a waterfall. Even as Eden stood in a niche, the water was soon up to her knees. From the floor, it was probably eight feet deep and rising fast.

"I could try lightning," Perfect Jason said. "Maybe blast a hole in the roof?"

"That could bring down the whole room and crush us," Piper said.

"Or electrocute us," Percy added.

"Not many choices," Perfect Jason said.

"Let me and Eden search the bottom," Percy said. "If this place was built as a fountain, there has to be a way to drain the thing. You guys, check the niches for secret exits. Maybe the seashells are knobs, or something."

"God, I fucking hate you," Eden groaned.

Percy jumped in the water. She dove in after him.

Which was a mistake and a half. Eden tried breathing and instantly water came up her nose. The water was weakening her, making her feel like shit. She tried swimming down, but then she couldn't stand it anymore. Her head broke the surface and she gasped.

"Holy shit," Eden coughed, taking Perfect Jason's hand to help her up onto the niche.

Not that it would help. Her body still felt weak as the water rose.

Piper's body looked as if she was sagging. She moved sluggishly like the boys were. Perfect Jason's face was pale. He seemed to be having trouble holding his sword. Percy was drenched and shivering. His hair didn't look quite so dark, as if the color was leaching out.

If Eden looked a single bit like her brother, she'd dive into the water right now.

"They're taking our power," Kaleidoscope said. "Draining us."

"Jason," Percy coughed, "do the lightning."

Perfect Jason raised his sword. The room rumbled, but no lightning appeared. The roof didn't break. Instead, a miniature rainstorm formed at the top of the chamber. Rain poured down, filling the fountain even faster, but it wasn't normal rain. The stuff was just as dark as the water in the pool. Every drop stung Eden's skin.

"Oh, fuck you," Eden shivered.

"Thanks," Perfect Jason said.

The water was up to their necks now. Eden could feel her high amount of strength fading.

Percy started pushing the water away with the back of his hand, like he was shooing a bad dog. But dogs were good. Good doggie. "Can't — can't control it!"

"Yeah, no shit," Eden snapped.

"We can't fight this," Kaleidoscope said. "If we hold back, that just makes us weaker."

Eden wanted to snicker. Holding back. Haha. God, she loved her mind.

"What do you mean?" Perfect Jason shouted over the rain.

The water was up to their chins. Another few inches, and they'd have to swim. But the water wasn't halfway to the ceiling yet.

"The horn of plenty," Piper said. "We have to overwhelm the nymphs with fresh water, give them more than they can use. If we can dilute this poisonous stuff—"

"Can your horn do that?" Percy struggled to keep his head above water, which was obviously a new experience for him. He looked scared out of his mind. Eden totally wasn't that scared, no.