42.

AND SO EDEN stayed at Rachel's dorm for a week, confining herself in her dorm room while she went to school, but at least she came back with breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And Eden helped her with whatever homework she had, which was a nice compromise. At least, it would've been if she could read. Or do math.

One thing Eden did enjoy were the arts, though. She enjoyed modeling for Rachel as she drew her, all black combat boots and dress and all.

"She hung up the art of you," Rachel said when she'd came back from all of her afternoon classes — science, social studies, and art — and flopping down on her bed, groaning. "Can't even give it to you."

Eden pouted. "What a shame. Your art is gorgeous, though, I can't fault her."

She hadn't been able to paint anything since her departure from Camp Half-Blood. She'd taken a day to book an impromptu flight, tell Rachel, fly over, get money, and get to where her school was. Eden had snuck in, as per usual, because she was just that talented, and she would sneak out.

Unfortunately, she had to leave. After a week, which was Rachel's limit, if she wanted to not get distracted in school so she could get out quicker and get back to NYC quicker.

"Just think," Rachel said. "I could go back to being closer to you. Travis is going to college this year, so you don't have him."

Eden had groaned and grumbled her fines.

But at least they were out window shopping now, as the school let them out during the weekends. Rachel was enjoyable on shopping trips, and she loved pointing out the art and how crappy business signs were. Eden adored snickering with her about the horrible color scheme of clothes, and they usually hoarded Bath and Body Works.

"You know, I'm proud of you," Rachel said.

Eden raised an eyebrow at her. "For?"

"For admitting that you loved her," she said, and she knew that Eden knew who she was talking about. "Even if you were hella drunk, and bolted right after. I'm proud."

"It was not as heroic as you're putting it." Eden snorted, waving her hair out of her face. "It was just a drunken confession. It was a fucking mistake — god, that shade of yellow is awful — and she'll probably laugh at me when I get back to camp."

"You didn't confess to Silena, did you? You're becoming better at this stuff. I'm still going to be proud of you, Eden, whatever you say."

Eden turned away from her at that. She was not proud of what had happened then, and absolutely dreaded coming back. She'd literally confessed her love to the straightest girl on earth. She was literally in love with the blandest dude ever.

She just hoped that she could procrastinate coming back enough.

And she'd gotten that chance on the airplane. The flight was pretty empty — it was literally a fucking Thursday in early March, who would have gone on a fucking airplane? — and Eden's phone started ringing. She didn't apologize to the people in her flight, going to an empty-ish part of the plane and picking up the call. "Hello?"

"Took you long enough," a familiar voice said on the other line.

"Drew!" Eden was surprised that the girl was calling her. "What, the Brooklyn Academy not good enough for you?"

"Haha," Drew's voice was sardonic and sour; and god, did Eden adore hearing her voice. "Yes. It's so tiring here. Sadie Kane and Valentina Rosales are the worst."

Eden frowned. "They're both okay, I guess."

"They're really not," Eden could just feel Drew roll her eyes. "Any chance you could meet me here? I could sneak you in. I want to talk. Sadly, you've been MIA for a week."