53.

GOD, EDEN HATED EVERYTHING.

The tunnel ran along the floor of a gymnasium-sized tank. Except for water and some cheap decorations, it seemed majestically empty. Eden guessed that there was a shit ton of over their heads. If the tunnel were to shatter for some reason . . .

No big deal, Eden thought. I've been surrounded by water thousands of times. This is my home court.

But her heart was pounding. She didn't like this, being cautious. Now that she had someone to go back to. And her ADHD was running rampant in here. She couldn't stop shaking. Maybe that wasn't the ADHD.

Phorcys stopped in the middle of the tunnel and spread his arms proudly. "Beautiful exhibit, isn't it?"

Eden tried to distract herself by concentrating on details. In one corner of the tank, snuggled in a forest of fake kelp, was a life-sized plastic gingerbread cottage with bubbles coming out of the chimney. In the opposite corner, a plastic sculpture of a guy in an old-fashioned diving suit knelt beside a treasure chest, which popped open every few seconds, spewed bubbles, and closed again. Littered across the white sand floor were glass marbles the size of bowling balls, and a strange assortment of weapons like tridents and spearguns. Outside the tank's display wall was an amphitheater with seating for several hundred.

"What do you keep in here?" Frank asked. "Giant killer goldfish?"

Phorcys raised his eyebrows. "Oh, that would be good! But, no, Frank Zhang, descendant of Poseidon. This tank is not for goldfish."

At descendant of Poseidon, Frank flinched. He stepped back, gripping his backpack like a mace he was prepared to swing.

Eden's stomach just fucking got bigger or some shit. Unfortunately, it was a feeling she was used to. In a sense.

"How do you know Frank's last name?" Percy demanded. "How do you know he's descended from Poseidon?"

"Well . . ." Phorcys shrugged, trying to look modest. "It was probably in the descriptions Gaea provided. You know, for the bounty, Percy Jackson."

Eden brought out a gun, pointing it at the god. "Don't double-cross me, Phorcys. You promised us answers."

"After the VIP treatment, yes," Phorcys agreed. "I promised to tell you everything you need to know. The thing is, however, you don't really need to know anything." His grotesque smile stretched wide. "You see, even if you made it to Rome, which is quite unlikely, you'd never defeat my giant brothers without a god fighting at your side. And what god would help you? So I have a better plan. You're not leaving. You're VIPs — Very Important Prisoners!"

Eden shot. Frank hurled his backpack at the sea god's head. Phorcys simply disappeared. What a dick.

The god's voice reverberated through the aquarium's sound system, echoing down the tunnel. "Yes, good! Fighting is good! You see, Mother never trusted me with big assignments, but she did agree that I could keep anything I caught. You three will make an excellent exhibit — the only demigod spawn of Poseidon in captivity. 'Demigod Terrors' — yes, I like that! We already have sponsorship lined up with Bargain Mart. You can fight each other every day at eleven AM and one PM, with an evening show at seven PM."

"You're crazy!" Frank yelled.

"Don't sell yourself short!" Phorcys said. "You'll be our biggest draw!"

Frank ran for the exit, only to slam into a glass wall. Percy ran the other way and found it blocked as well. Their tunnel had become a bubble. Eden put her hand against the glass and realized it was softening, melting like ice. Soon the water would come crashing in.