56.

THEY DIDN'T MAKE it to the ship.

Halfway across the dock, three giant eagles descended in front of them. Each deposited a Roman commando in purple and denim with glittering gold armor, sword, and shield. The eagles flew away, and the Roman in the middle, who was scrawnier than the others, raised his visor.

"Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Eden looked at Piper, who nodded. She took out a whip and a typical sword.

Kaleidoscope raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian yelled. "Wax in our ears — standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel muttered. "Please."

The ship was only fifty feet away, but Eden saw no sign of Coach Hedge on deck. He was probably below, watching his stupid martial arts programs. Perfect Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater, unaware of the invasion.

She was running out of time. The eagles circled overhead, crying out as if to alert their brethren: Hey, some tasty Greek demigods over here!

"Well?" Octavian demanded. His two friends brandished their swords.

Eden looked over at the girls. "I can take 'em. Trust me. Run to the ship."

Annabeth frowned. "You sure?"

"It's fine, y'all get Percy. I'm onto this." Eden took off one of her rings, turning it into a gun and tossing it to her girlfriend. "Get the eagles."

Before they could protest, she lashed out her whip, tripping the two guards before slamming Octavian in the head with her sword.

It was only a matter of time before she'd gotten one of the guards unconscious with her sword, dodging all of his attempts to trip her, or catch her somewhere to slow her down.

Unluckily, the other one got up.

Which was fine for Eden, because she jumped over him, feeling the familiar adrenaline boost help her flip in the air and land on her feet. "Too slow," she taunted, and he turned around and his blade clashed with hers.

Lazily, she punched the part of his face that was unguarded and then slashed at his balls with her whip. When he staggered, she brought the hilt of her blade down on his neck, and then three unconscious guys were around her. Weak.

Eden ran for the ship. Even though it was flying away. Was she fucking crazy? Yes. Did she care? No.

She ran toward the fray of the Roman demigods in an attempt to get the people on the ship's attention. And also because she saw a giant eagle and Leo hanging from it and she just had to get over there.

Eden watched as a flying chariot descended from a cloud and was diving straight toward them. Perfect Jason, who was flying nearby, and Frank veered out of the way, pulling up to avoid getting trampled by the pegasi. The charioteers fired their bows. Arrows whistled under Leo's feet, which led to more screaming and cursing. Perfect Jason and Frank were forced to overshoot the Argo II and fly toward Fort Sumter.

Eden swore and rushed toward the fort, dodging Roman demigods along the way, just as the flaming spear exploded above her.

She heard the panic of the pegasi. She saw the boys fall to the ground.