34.

EDEN HAD TO admit, despite the obvious chemistry that she and Perfect Jason had had while pew pewing giants, she was really not hysterical over him practically dying.

Meanwhile, Kaleidoscope kept calling his name as she held him. He'd been unconscious for two minutes now. His body was steaming, his eyes rolled back in his head. He looked real fucking dead.

"It's no use, child." Useless Whore stood over them in her simple black robes and shawl.

Eden hadn't seen the goddess go nuclear. Thank fucking Jesus. Thankfully she'd closed her eyes, but she could see the aftereffects. Every vestige of winter was gone from the valley. No signs of battle, either. The monsters had been vaporized. The ruins had been restored to what they were before—still ruins, but with no evidence that they'd been overrun by a horde of wolves, storm spirits, and six-armed ogres.

Even the Hunters had been revived. Most waited at a respectful distance in the meadow, but Pinecone Face knelt by Kaleidoscope's side, her hand on Perfect Jason's forehead.

Lia glared up at the goddess. "This is your fault. Do something!"

"Do not address me that way, girl. I am the queen—"

"Fix him!"

Princess Peach's eyes flickered with power. Power that she didn't deserve. Power that Eden wanted. "I did warn him. I would never intentionally hurt the boy. He was to be my champion. I told them to close their eyes before I revealed my true form."

"Um . . ." Fire Boy frowned. "True form is bad, right? So why did you do it?"

"I unleashed my power to help you, fool!" Princess Peach cried. "I became pure energy so I could disintegrate the monsters, restore this place, and even save these miserable Hunters from the ice."

"But mortals can't look upon you in that form!" Pinecone Face shouted. "You've killed him!"

Fire Boy shook his head in dismay. "That's what our prophecy meant. Death unleash, through Hera's rage. Come on, lady. You're a goddess. Do some voodoo magic on him! Bring him back."

"Yeah," Eden smirked. "Be useful for once."

Princess Peach was about to fucking go off on her, until Kaleidoscope announced, "He's breathing!"

"Impossible," Princess Peach said, turning to her. "I wish it were true, child, but no mortal has ever—"

"Jason," Kaleidoscope called. "Listen to me. You can do this. Come back. You're going to be fine."

Nothing happened. Gods, she was delusional. Pretty, but delusional.

"Healing is not a power of Aphrodite," Princess Peach said regretfully. "Even I cannot fix this, girl. His mortal spirit—"

"Jason," Kaleidoscope said again. "Wake up."

He gasped, and his eyes flew open. For a moment they were full of light — glowing pure gold. Then the light faded and his eyes were normal again. "What — what happened?"

"Impossible!" Princess Peach said.

Kaleidoscope wrapped him in a hug until he groaned, "Crushing me."

"Sorry," she said, laughing and crying. Well, that was that.

Princess Peach gripped her brother's hand. "How do you feel?"

"Hot," he muttered. "Mouth is dry. And I saw something . . . really terrible."

"That was Hera," Lia grumbled. "Her Majesty, the Loose Cannon."