51.

WHEN EDEN REALIZED that Piper had stopped explaining why eidolons were still in the room, she realized that the others looked at her uncomfortably. Up on deck, Hedge sang something that sounded like "In the Navy" while Blackjack stomped his hooves, whinnying in protest. Eden could hear Techno's voice as she searched out for him, and he had gone back to whatever he did when she didn't need him. God, what a legend.

Finally Hazel exhaled. "Piper is right."

"How can you be sure?" Annabeth asked.

"I've met eidolons," Hazel said. "In the Underworld, when I was . . . you know."

Dead.

Eden had forgotten that Hazel was a second-timer. In her own way, Hazel too was a ghost reborn.

"So . . ." Frank rubbed his hand across his buzz-cut hair as if some ghosts might have invaded his scalp. "You think these things are lurking on the ship, or—"

"Possibly lurking inside some of us," Piper said. "We don't know."

Perfect Jason clenched his fist. "If that's true—"

"We have to take steps," Piper said. "I think I can do this."

"Do what?" Percy asked.

"Just listen, okay?" Piper took a deep breath. "Everybody listen."

Kaleidoscope met their eyes, one person at a time.

"Eidolons," she said, using her charmspeak, "raise your hands."

There was tense silence.

Leo laughed nervously. "Did you really think that was going to—?"

His voice died. His face went slack. He raised his hand.

Perfect Jason and Percy did the same. Their eyes had turned glassy and gold. Hazel caught her breath. Next to Fire Boy, Frank scrambled out of his chair and put his back against the wall.

"Oh, gods." Annabeth looked at Piper imploringly. "Can you cure them?"

Piper focused on Leo.

"Are there more of you on this ship?" she asked.

"No," Leo said in a hollow voice. "The Earth Mother sent three. The strongest, the best. We will live again."

"Not here, you won't," Piper growled. "All three of you, listen carefully."

Perfect Jason and Percy turned toward her. Those gold eyes were almost unnerving, as if Eden's eyes weren't like those when she was tapping into her war prowess.

"You will leave those bodies," Kaleidoscope commanded.

"No," Percy said.

Fire Boy let out a soft hiss. "We must live."

Frank fumbled for his bow. "Mars Almighty, that's creepy! Get out of here, spirits! Leave our friends alone!"

Leo turned toward him. "You cannot command us, child of war. Your own life is fragile. Your soul could burn at any moment."

Eden had no clue what that meant, but Frank staggered like he'd been punched in the gut. He drew an arrow, his hands shaking. "I — I've faced down worse things than you. If you want a fight—"

"Frank, don't." Hazel rose.

Next to her, Perfect Jason drew his sword.

"Stop!" Piper ordered, but her voice quavered.

"Listen to Piper." Hazel pointed at Perfect Jason's sword. The gold blade seemed to grow heavy in his hand. It clunked to the table and he sank back into his chair.