40.

GOD, EDEN DIDN'T know when it first happened.

But she remembered when she'd seriously felt it for the first time.

It had to have been in March, when Eden had her last day of being seriously sleep deprived. She'd gone in her cabin to see Kaleidoscope seriously excited.

"What, had sex with Lightning Boy?" Eden rolled her eyes, going over to her mirror and pouting, suddenly feeling itchy around her neck — where the locket was. "I mean, whatever you're into works, I guess."

In the mirror, she saw Kaleidoscope turn red. "What goes on in your brain to think about that shit?"

"Bad things," Eden turned to her right and stuck up a foot, still itching around her neck in a vain effort to get it to get off somehow.

Kaleidoscope sighed as she put down her book. "Do you need help taking it off?"

"No." Why won't it come off? Why can't she get off of her mind? Why couldn't she get over her? Why was she feeling so hot, but so cold, but so filled, yet so lonely—

"Sh, Eden," suddenly the presence changed, into a more comforting atmosphere. Tinges of red spotted her vision, and she held her breath, as the cold, cold chain was taken off of her neck gently. "You're okay. You're okay."

The love child was right behind her. Holding the necklace that caused most of her nightmares, the innocent picture inside haunting her. And yet, Piper McLean, in a way, was uncanny to Silena Beauregard.

Yet so different, in the way they looked. The way they talked. The way they felt.

Eden's eyes closed tightly, of their own accord. She couldn't handle this, having the love child behind her—

"I'm right here, Eden."

That's exactly it.

It took a little bit. But slowly, her breathing slowed — when did it become quicker? — and her eyes opened, and she could see the love child behind her, holding her so she wouldn't collapse.

Her neck was red, and blood ran down from scratching too hard. At least she hadn't been crying.

"I'd liked this shirt," Eden muttered.

Kaleidoscope laughed, soft enough for it to be appropriate in this situation. "You're welcome."

"Who says you're welcome anymore?" Eden went around to grab a comfier outfit — she couldn't sleep in jeans, as much as she tried to be one of those people. "Besides for old people."

"Eden," Kaleidoscope groaned.

She winked and went in her bathroom, changing and grimacing as she cleaned up the blood from her neck that looked quite nasty. She decided not to do anything else but take a sip of nectar, and if the situation needed it, makeup for tomorrow morning.

When she left from her room, Kaleidoscope was lying on her bed, reading whatever she was reading. Eden didn't know, the cover was all blurred words and colorful art.

"Why're you on my bed?" She grumbled, her fingers itching for some musical release. She opted for her electric guitar, turning on the amp and tuning it.

"Don't be too loud," called Kaleidoscope, her eyes still on her book. "I'm sleeping with you."

Eden choked. "I'm flattered, but you literally have a boyfriend. And we haven't done it yet."

"I didn't mean it like that!" Kaleidoscope said hotly, and Eden saw her cheeks turn pink. "No, I mean . . . maybe it's better if I sleep by you. Maybe that'll stop it."