Prologue

Pebblestar awoke in a forest. The grey light seeps through the dense tree-tops. She looks around, for something familiar. A black Tom is sitting by an oak, his cold Amber eyes meeting with her own blue ones.

"Thorntail!" She exclaimed, running towards the Tom who had been her mate.

"Hello my love." The Tom greeted her, purring. "I have a prophecy to tell you."

"What?"

"The ash of a broken heart will be vanquished by an evil glare, and a glowing ember will destroy the shadow that lies within."

"Really?" Pebblestar asked.

"That's why you woke up here." Thorntail mewed.

Pebblestar's mind raced as she thought of it. What was the glowing ember? The ash of a broken heart? And the evil glare mustn't be true, all her cats were loyal, none would think of betraying the clan.

"I know what your thinking." The Tom rasped.

"Great now why don't you help me figure it out?"

"I don't know what it means myself."

"Oh, thorntail!"

"I will help you, but at this moment, I know nothing."

Pebblestar quivered with desperation. "I need to know!"

"I'm sorry." The Tom began to fade.

"NO, come back! I need you!" But he was already gone.

Pebblestar awoke. She needed to talk to Blackwave, now.