Chapter 16

"Jump! No, higher, if you jump like a mouse, your enemy is going to have you trapped beneath their paws in no time!"

Shadowpaw was finally back to training with Pebblestar. The leader was being very harsh today. She gave none of her usual kindness, but instead pushed her harder and harder until her laws felt like they'd fall off. When Shadowpaw had asked why they were training so hard, Pebblestar had said that they were making her shoulder strong again, but Shadowpaw thought there was another reason. As Pebblestar's voice cut the air again, Shadowpaw leaped into the air.

Her paws brushed the branch above her head and she unsheathed her claws, trying to dig her claws in as Pebblestar ran forward. If I could hang on this branch for a few heartbeats, before she knew what I was doing, I could drop down on her head afterward!
But as she fell, she landed directly in front of Pebblestar, who started to batter her with sheathed claws. "Again!" She ordered.
Shadowpaw sighed. This time as Pebblestar raced across the clearing towards her, she bunched her muscles right and flew up into the air even higher! She dug her claws into the rough bark of the branch and hauled herself upward. Pebblestar kept pelting forward but this time, when she reached the tree, Shadowpaw let go of the tree and landed gracefully on Pebblestar's back.
"Better." Pebblestar grunted.

Better? Seriously? I try as hard as I can and I get the words "better." Wow, Pebblestar really is grumpy today.

It was sunset when Pebblestar finally dismissed her. Shadowpaw raced back to the camp, desperate to tell her friends about her day. But when she arrived, scared howls were filming the sky. That's the camp! What's wrong in there? Shadowpaw burst forward with a surge of speed and was soon through the entrance. When she saw what was happening, she froze.

ShadeClan is attacking!