Chapter 4

Shadowkit was so excited. Today was the day they were becoming apprentices.
She put her chin up as her mother, Sandslip, licked every inch of her fur.
Wildflame was doing the same to Ashkit and Emberkit.
Ashkit was protesting loudly. "I don't need to look perfect, mum!"
Wildflame just purred and sighed. "I want you to look good on the day you become an apprentice.

"You haven't done her yet," He openly nodded at Emberkit. "and she's just as messy as me!"

"Hold still or you'll never be clean enough to be an apprentice."
That sure shut him up.

Soon Pebblestar stood on top of the High Peak. "Let all cats old enough to catch there own prey gather beneath the High Peak for a clan meeting!" She yowled.
In the minute it took for the clan to gather, Shadowkit could feel her pelt prickling in excitement.
She was going to be an apprentice!
Her sister, Riverkit seemed to know what she was thinking because she purred, "you know, you still have to become a warrior!"

Shadowkit butted her sister on the head.
"We'll lead the clan together, Riverkit, I'll be leader and you'll be medicine cat!"

"I can't wait." Riverkit purred. "Now listen, Pebblestar is starting the ceremony!"
Shadowkit stopped talking and turned to Pebblestar who had begun to speak.
"We gather here today, beneath our ancestors, for one of the most important ceremonies to the Clan."

Shadowkit gasped.
"You'll never be a warrior if all you do is talk!" Lynxclaw hissed from somewhere behind her.
Pebblestar was looking down at her Clan with a disappointed look.
"As I was saying," she continued. "We are gathered for a very important ceremony, the ceremony of new apprentices,"

This time it was Ashkit who made the noise. "I hope I get someone good!" His tail was held high above his head.

Pebblestar continued irritably, staring at the four kits. "But if they don't want to be apprentices, I can arrange that."
All four apprentices slapped their tails over their mouths.
"These four kits have reached their sixth moon with the Clan and it is time they became apprentices.
Ashpaw, come forward."

The light grey tomcat scampered forward, his yellow eyes sparkling.
"Ashkit, from this moment on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Ashpaw. Greenstem will be your mentor."
The she-cat padded forward from the crowd and Ashpaw touched noses with her.

"Emberkit, come forward." Pebblestar meowed. The dark grey she-cat ran forward.
"Emberkit, from this moment on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Emberpaw. Your mentor will be Weaselgrowl."
Emberpaw winced at this. Shadowkit could understand why. Weaselgrowl was a good warrior, but his words were sharp and his eyes seemed as though he was looking right through you.
Surprisingly, he looked soft and friendly as he padded forward to touch noses with Emberpaw.
"I'll train you well," He promised her. "Just cooperate and we'll be the best warriors in the clan!"

"Ok!" Shadowkit heard Emberpaw mew. "I'll be awesome! I'll be your favourite apprentice ever!"

"I'm sure you will." He replied.

Pebblestar started mewing again, and this time it was her name that was called.
"Shadowkit, come forward."

Shadowkit now understood how Ashpaw and Emberpaw had felt as they padded forward- the whole clan was staring and Shadowkit could feel the eyes piercing her fur. As she climbed the rock, she kept wondering if she'd make it to the top or fall.

"Shadowkit," Pebblestar purred. "From this moment on, until you have earned your warrior name, you will be know. as Shadowpaw. I have watched you from the day you were born. You have stealth in stalking and great reflexes. That is why I will be your mentor."

Shadowpaw felt surprised. She wasn't any different then her friends and sister, so why did she get the special treatment of having the clan leader for a mentor? She leaned forward to touch noses and then scampered away.

"And lastly, Riverkit," Pebblestar mewed. "It is your wish then, to become a medicine cat? To walk with StarClan and heal your clanmates?"

Riverkit nodded.
"Then from this moment on, until you receive your Medicine Cat Name you shall be known as Riverpaw, and Blackwave will be your mentor.
Riverpaw confidently touched noses with her new mentor.
Then the clan began to cheer as loud as they could.
"Ashpaw, Emberpaw, Shadowpaw, Riverpaw!"