Chapter 12

It was dawn. A pale grey light seeped into the medicine where Shadowpaw slept. Shadowpaw heaved herself from her nest in the medicine den with a groan.
"Will I ever be better?" She muttered under her breath.
Riverpaw purred from her nest. "Soon."
Shadowpaw didn't know that she had heard her, so she stared in shock for a moment until Riverpaw mewed again.
"Go on, do what you need. I'm not keeping you."

Shadowpaw limped from the den and across the clearing. When she arrived at the thorn barrier she pushed her way through. The two new warriors: Cloudswirl and Windstorm were still there, keeping vigil. Cloudswirl by the entrance while Windstorm circled the camp.
The dark brown tomcat, Cloudswirl looked at her with dark eyes before opening his mouth. "Where are you going?" He hissed.

"Just . . . Out." How could she explain she had been swimming to strengthen her leg? That would be embarrassing. Cloudswirl lowered his gaze to hers, his muzzle brushing against the tip of her ear. "You can tell me anything." He whispered. "You know that, right?"
Shadowpaw looked into his dark gaze. The white swirls of colour on his pelt looking soft.
"Ok," Shadowpaw spoke. "I've been swimming to strengthen my leg . . . go on then, laugh."

Cloudswirl's eyes held a confused look. "Why would I laugh? It's not funny. I'll help too. Here, wait in this bush," he shoved her into a bush. "A warrior should be coming to tell us out vigil is over soon."
Before she could respond, he was back patrolling in front of the barrier. Soon Redfoot pushed his way out of the barrier and growled softly. "You're vigil is over. You may come in to rest."
Shadowpaw expected him to follow the senior warrior back into camp, but instead he tried to explain. "Well actually I'm . . . er . . . Hunting so, no. I'll rest later . . ."

"Well ok," Redfoot shrugged, turning back to the barrier, Windstorm stalking after him. As they passed out of sight, Cloudswirl came over to her. "Ready for some swimming?" He purred.
Shadowpaw nodded. She leaped to her paws and beckoned for Cloudswirl to follow. They headed for the creek in their territory and when they reached it, they stopped.
Cloudswirl looked at her, seemingly surprised she was actually going to swim but before he could protest she hurled herself in. Cloudswirl didn't look happy, but soon jumped in as well. Shadowpaw flicked her long black tail over his head and he yowled.
"Hey, I was trying to keep my head dry!"

Shadowpaw looked at him with a teasing blue gaze and dunked him under water. Bubbles rose from his muzzle and as he broke the surface, he called out again. "Seriously, I am never coming swimming with you again."

Shadowpaw purred. "Well, that's kind of too bad because you don't really have any choice."

Cloudswirl yowled indignantly. "What? Yes I do, I'm a warrior and you're an apprentice! And last time I checked warriors are above the rank of apprentices!" He puffed out his chest.

"Too bad that your not on land- in water, puffing your chest out makes you look even more like a drowned rat."
Before he could answer she jumped out of the water and began racing for camp.

"Ha ha, can't catch me!" She yowled.

Cloudswirl shook his head madly before giving chase.

But when they arrived at camp, the mood was torn into grief and sadness.
Shadowpaw smelled the air to smell death. She closed her eyes shaking her head. No, no, no it can't be her!
But when she gazed up again she saw a patrol made up of Weaselgrowl, Brightpelt and Emberpaw- and with them was the dead body of Sandslip.