Chapter 27

Ashfall was stalking a mouse. The light-grey fur of the tiny body was being ruffled by the wind and its long, worm-like tail was snagged on a twig.
Ashfall crept forward solemnly, keeping his grey fur out of rsight and making sure not to step on so much as a leaf.
As he neared the mouse, a blackbird let out a raucous call. The mouse started and began racing away. Stupid mouse. Ashfall thought. The stupid blackbird was just singing its song, not alerting you!
But it didn't matter because soon Ashfall had hooked the mouse in his claws, and neatly bit into its neck.
As the mouse fell limp, Riverpaw burst into view.
"Riverpaw, is everything all right?" Ashfall asked, dropping the mouse's body.

Riverpaw shook her head. "No, it's not. And by the way, I'm Riverwave now."

Ashfall hardly paid attention to Riverwave's new name. "What's wrong?"

"Shadowleap. She's left. With . . . Hawkstar." The silver tabby mewed.

"We have to save her!" Ashfall growled.

"No. We can't. She went willingly."

Ashfall turned to Riverwave and growled. "Yah, whatever. Why would she do that?"

"I don't know . . . "

"Is she seriously gone? I . . . Don't understand. She had everything here."

"Yeah, except Hawkstar." Riverwave said bluntly. "I probably feel this loss more than you. She's my sister."
Ashfall didn't know what to say. Shadowleap had left them. For a heartless, evil, leader who wanted to destroy EchoClan. And for what? Fun? Ashfall couldn't believe shed chosen Hawkstar over Cloudswirl.
Who would I choose? A sweet, loving, pretty she-cat, or one that was a leader who wanted to destroy all the Clans. Hmm . . . That's a hard one. Wait, who am I kidding. I'D CHOOSE THE NICE PRETTY ONE THAY DIDN'T WANT TO DESTROY THE WORLD!
He almost yowled his thoughts out loud, but slapped his tail over his mouth just in time. "Let's tell Pebblestar." He said just in time.

"Yes. Let's." The silver tabby whisked away, her tail high in the air. Ashfall followed after quickly grabbing his mouse.
"I seriously can't believe this." He frowned, his voice muffled by the grey fur of mouse.

Riverwave grunted. "You've only mentioned it ten times."

When they reached the camp, Ashfall poked inside. Brightpelt sat grooming Yellowear. Ashfall's thoughts immediately flashed to kits.
Wait, no. Don't. Remember Blackwave's warning. We don't want kits right now.
But Ashfall couldn't suppress a purr as he thought of his beloved son, Scratchkit. The little tom was growing fast, and soon he'd be a warrior that EchClan could be proud of.

Then he saw Pebblestar. The silver and brown she-cat was stretching near her den. Her blue eyes were closed and she trembled as she yawned.
Ashfall and Riverwave walked over to her.
"What?" Pebblestar blinked sleepily.

"We have news." Riverwave announced.

"What?" Pebblestar asked, now alert.

"Shadowleap . . . She's left with Hawkstar." Riverwave growled.

Pebblestar started upward. "We need to send a rescue patrol! You can go of course, Ashfall and Brightpelt, Emberglow and Greenstem!" She headed for the cliff where she made announcements.

"No!" Ashfall called. "She left willingly! She . . . We think she's mates with Hawkstar."

"Think? We know, Ashfall!" Riverwave spoke, lashing her tail.

Pebblestar's eyes dulled. "What? She left willingly? She wanted to go with that . . . that monster?"

"Yes." Ashfall mewed. "But we do have to get her back somehow. Even if it's by force."