Chapter 35

Ashfall was at camp. He grumpily swished his tail back and forth, back and forth, waiting for Riverwave to come back to camp. Even Windstorm, his mate, seemed to be annoyed by his angry demeanour. When she finally did, he was delighted.

Except for a few things.

For one, she'd brought back a kit. For what reason exactly? Ashfall didn't know.

Also, it was already dark.

"Who is this?" He puffed up.

"Shimmerkit. I'm to train her. You know, half of IvyClan is dead and stuff. They kinda need a medicine cat. Please don't get mad."

Ashfall decided not to be to angry.

"We need to talk to Shadowleap tonight." Ashfall said.

Riverwave nodded, brushing past him. The grey tomcat quickly followed, examining his claws.

In the leaders den, Shimmerkit was named Shimmerpaw, and Pebblestar immediately agreed to the plan.

"IvyClan is important." Pebblestar had rasped. "We need them to have a medicine cat."

Shimmerpaw seemed happy that she was welcomed.

After they were done, Riverwave brought Shimmerpaw to the medicine den and gave her a nest. When she emerged from the cave, Ashfall was completely ready.

They settled down

"Let us see Shadowleap." Riverwave meowed.

Ashfall closed his eyes and rested against the hope of seeing his friend.

They arrived in a meadow with Shadowleap in it. Her moon old kit- Ravenkit- was scampering through the meadow, staring in awe at the little things of life.

"Hi guys," Shadowleap purred, walking towards them.

"So, have you decided yet?" Riverwave's silver pelt rippled with excitement. "You have to come back!"

"Nope." Shadowleap said. "I haven't thought about it at all. At all. . . . "

"Come on," Ashfall snorted. "I know you have."

"Yes. I have. It's just so hard to decide. I mean, I do care about Hawkstar and what if this would just cause more problems for our Clan? Hawkstar could try to steal Ravenkit back! I want my kit to have a peaceful life." Shadowleap reasoned.

"She could have a peaceful life back in EchoClan." Ashfall meowed. "We wouldn't let Hawkstar steal her. I'd rather die."

Riverwave was nodding along with Ashfall's words. "It's true. Everybody back home wants you to come back, even Cloudswirl-"

"I doubt it." Shadowleap argued. "I betrayed him. There's no reason he would ever want me back. That's impossible."

"He still loves you." Ashfall meowed softly. "He's forgiven you for all the bad things you did to him. He still talks about you."

Shadowleap's ears perked a little. "Maybe."

Riverwave looked up at the black she-cat; she'd been looking at the ground. "Can you please come back? I'm begging you!"

"What would you do if I told you Ravenkit isn't Hawkstar's?" Shadowleap blurted out the question.

"She isn't?" Riverwave frowned. "Is she Cloudswirl's?"

Shadowleap nodded her head. "Yeah, she is. See? I'm terrible. I even lied about that one."

"That's just more reason to come back!" Ashfall said. "Cloudswirl would love to see his daughter."

"Well, I'll think about it." Shadowleap said.

"That's what you said last time!" Ashfall growled. "You better think pretty fast, or I'll come straight over to ShadeClan myself, and take you!"

None of the cats had even thought about the prophecy and as the black she-cat faded away, Ashfall could feel his dreaming self enter a different kind of sleep. This kind had no dreams, just blackness.

It was a time to think. . . .