Chapter 10

Riverpaw was slapping a fresh poultice on Shadowpaw's shoulder.
"What does this even do," Shadowpaw groaned. "All it feels like it's doing is making my fur all stuff and gross."

Riverpaw sighed. Ever since her sister had been injured, Shadowpaw had been whinier then a mosquito buzzing in her face.
"Why can't I just do my duties already? I need to do them some day, or I'll be behind and Emberpaw and Ashpaw will be Warriors before me."

Riverpaw but back a sharp retort as she chewed up some more comfrey.
"Well, I'm sorry you feel that way, but wrenched shoulders don't heal overnight." Riverpaw growled.
She should at least be thankful that I'm trying to help. If I was in her place I'd be so glad to have a Medicine Cat helping me. If she really thinks she can hunt with that shoulder, I'm a mouse. She'd probably collapse after five steps out of the camp.

"When can I hunt again?" Shadowpaw asked.

"When I say you can!" Riverpaw snapped, finally giving in to her temper. "I'm trying to help, and it doesn't help when you're whining in my ear the whole time about how it's not good enough! I have better stuff to do to, you know! If you want I can get Blackwave to help instead, because she's proably so much better."
Then Riverpaw whirled out of the den.
Shadowpaw stared after her for a few moments before yowling.
"No, Riverpaw, you know I didn't mean-"
Riverpaw didn't hear anymore, because she was gone.

As she stormed towards the fresh-kill pile she saw Blackwave hurrying towards her.
"What's the matter, Riverpaw?" Blackwave asked.

"Shadowpaw is being a grumpy fox and it's starting to get annoying. All she seemed capable of doing is whining about stupid things." Riverpaw explained.

"I see . . ." Blackwave mewed. "It's proably hard for her; just when she thought all was going well, she got hurt and now she doesn't know what to do."

Riverpaw snorted. "She's not that hurt. She's getting better!"

Suddenly Blackwave was serious. "Riverpaw, we both know it's not okay. Shadowpaw is in danger. She might never be a warrior."

Then, both cats turned to the camp entrance as the brambles rustled and the cats who had gone to the Gathering burst in. Riverpaw searched through the cats until she spotted Emberpaw and Ashpaw and she called them over.

"What happened?" Riverpaw asked.

Ashpaw snorted. "Vinestar was grumpy with Mudstar, the StormClan leader who is apparently late every Gathering and steals prey. It wasn't really that exciting."

"Ha, well I guess Mudstar is kind of a mouse-brain- remember when we were kits? The queens always gossiped about Mudstar; saying how irresponsible he was and how they don't think he should be leading a Clan." Riverpaw reminded.
"Excuse me, I have to go and talk to Shadowpaw."

The two cats dipped their heads as she padded away.
When she reached the den, Shadowpaw  looked asleep. Riverpaw sighed and turned to her own soft nest.
Just as she was about to fall asleep, she heard Shadowpaw speak.
"Riverpaw, I'm sorry. I don't like to fight with you . . . Please forgive me for being so selfish about my injury."

"Shadowpaw . .  ." Riverpaw mewed. Shadowpaw gave a little jump as if she didn't know Riverpaw was still awake.
"You know I couldn't stay mad at you. I know when you were being all grumpy it was just because of your shoulder. I'm sorry too."
Riverpaw heard Shadowpaw start to purr and crawled out of her best again and padded to Shadowpaw's. As she lay down, her sister's fluffy black coat brushed against hers and they twined their tails.
"I love you, Shadowpaw," Riverpaw mewed. "and nothing will ever stop that."