Chapter 14

Riverpaw was torn with fried as she ran to the medicine den, soon followed by Blackwave who was carrying a bundle of herbs.
"Chervil," she explained before rushing to the queen.
Chickfluff was lying on her side, taking in sharp breaths and gasping. She was staring at Riverpaw with terror in her blue eyes. Riverpaw could smell the fear and pain rolling of the queen in waves. Blackwave turned to Riverpaw and growled. "Fetch me a stick," she ordered. "A nice sturdy one that she can bite down on when the pain comes."
Riverpaw rushed out of the camp and scrabbled around for a stick. She found one beside a birch tree. She grabbed the stick in her jaws and raced back to camp. When she arrived back to the nursery she dropped the stick at Blackwave's paws. "Give it to Chickfluff." Blackwave hissed.
Riverpaw pawed the stick to Chickfluff's muzzle and the small yellow queen immediately took it in her jaws. Riverpaw soon heard the sound of splintering wood and a small bundle slid out onto the ground.

"It's the first kit," Blackwave explained. "A little tom. Lick it the wrong way to dry it and warm it up."
Riverpaw nodded and started to lick the kit. It was a dark brown.
Suddenly, Weaselgrowl burst into the den. "I was on patrol, but then I heard and, oh is that my first kit?"
Weaselgrowl rushed forwards and looked at his kit. The little kit let out a mewl.

"Well, don't just stand there like a dumb badger, get some soaked-moss for her!" Blackwave snapped.
Weaselgrowl seemed stung by her bluntness but soon ran out of the den to get the water.
Chickfluff howled in pain as another little bundle slid out. This one was smaller and looked more weak.
"It's a she-kit," Riverpaw told Chickfluff fondly.
The yellow queen's eyes were clouded with pain as she nodded.
"Is there more?" Chickfluff gasped. It seemed like every word was harder and harder for her to say.
Blackwave nodded. "Two more."

Chickfluff groaned as another kit came. Riverpaw licked the little she-kit and immediately it started to mewl. She nuzzled Chickfluff's ear and whispered. "This ones strong,"
Chickfluff gave no reply as another ear-splitting screech was heard.
"That's the last one," Blackwave purred. "You did a good job."

Just then, Weaselgrowl came bursting into the den with a massive bundle of dripping moss. Chickfluff purred as he set it down at her head. "Thank you, my love." She purred.
Quick-thinking, Riverpaw ran to the medicine den and grabbed a few borage leaves before passing back to the nursery.
"It's borage," she explained to the yellow queen. "It will help the milk come."
Riverpaw looked at the four kits. Three of them; the dark brown tom and the small tortoiseshell she-kit and the yellow she-kit were nursing, but the other one was lying stiffly on its side.
Chickfluff was staring at her with panic in her eyes. "What's wrong with her?"

Riverpaw leaned forward and prodded the little kit, then pressed her eat against its side.
Oh no, not you too.
Chickfluff was starting to panic. "What's wrong with her?" She repeated.

Riverpaw raised her head and looked into Chickfluff's blue eyes. "I . . . I'm sorry. But . . . She's, shes, dead."
Chickfluff raised her head in a howl but Weaselgrowl quickly ran to her side and mewed. "No, you need to take care of the others."
Then Chickfluff raised her head and looked at Riverpaw. "I'm sorry for you too. You lost your mother today."

Riverpaw dipped her head as she padded out of the den, a new grief tearing at her heart.
We lost two cats today. One was my mother. Another was too young to walk. What is happening to us?