Chapter 30

Riverwave frowned. The stock of catmint was getting dangerously low, and it was desperate to get more- it was almost leaf-bare. She got to her paws and walked over to Pebblestar's den. As she poked her head in, she heard a cough. Pebblestar's blue eyes were streaming and her nose was crusty.

"Pebblestar!" Riverwave exclaimed, rushing to her leader's side. "How long has this been going on?"

Her leader shrugged. "A few days. I've had a slight tickle, but this morning it started to get worse."

"I'll be right back. I need to grab some catmint." Riverwave meowed, leaving the den to go grab some catmint. There was only a few leaves left. Then she trotted back to the den. "This is all we have." Riverwave said uncertainly.

"It's ok," Pebblestar said, hacking.

"Can I go get catmint?"

"Yeah. Please do."

Riverwave left the den and scanned the camp. Her gaze caught on Brownwhisker. "Would you like to come with me to get catmint?" She asked the big brown tom.

"I'm deputy. I should probably stay here." He glanced around.

"No, come. Please, it's very important."

Brownwhisker gave in and quickly followed.
"We're going to the old twoleg nest on the ShadeClan border. That's where catmint grows. Oh, I hope it's still there!"

They padded side by side for a while, Riverwave thinking about what she had heard Pebblestar and Blackwave talking about all those moons ago. Should I ask him? Yes.

"Brownwhisker?" Riverwave asked.

"Yes?"

"Is it okay if I ask a question?"

"Yes."

"Why do you come into the forest so much?"

"Honestly, Riverwave. There's so many reasons I come out here. How can I be expected to answer that?"

"Give me five good reasons."

"Patrols. Hunting. Searching for herbs. Investigating. Hunting with my mate."

"Thank you. I know I can trust you. You're a good warrior, right?"

"Duh." Brownwhisker said, as if it was obvious.

Riverwave gasped. Inside the twoleg fence the catmint leaves were shrivelled and dry. "Oh no!" She gasped.

Brownwhisker ran up. "What's wro-" he broke off as he saw the catmint. "Oh no! There's no catmint? That's bad. I heard Cloverpaw coughing earlier, too! And then there's Pebblestar . . . Oh no."

Riverwave sighed.
What did we ever do to deserve this?