Chapter 1

Emberkit sat outside the nursery, licking her dark grey paw and staring at her surroundings. The camp was beautiful. The dens were made of spiny bracken and each had a layer of thick brambles growing overtop of it.
Emberkit came to her senses as she heard her brother yowling at the top of his lungs.
"I beat you, Shadowkit and you know it!"
He burst into view from behind the nursery, still crowing about his victories until a grumpy looking black she-kit came around the corner.

"Not fair," She growled. "Your not supposed to kick me in the stomach."

"Shadowkit, it's fine. Just be glad you get the practice for when we're warriors! Now you know what you can do better next time!"

"I guess," Shadowkit purred. "I'm glad I have friends like you guys."
Riverkit suddenly came from the Warriors den, her bright blue eyes sparkling and silver pelt shimmering.

"Guys, you'd never guess!" She mewed happily.

"What?" Ashkit demanded.

"Birchsky promised me that he'd come and teach us some battle moves!" She mewed happily.

"Awesome!" Emberkit purred.

"When?" Ashkit asked eagerly.

"Later, at sunset, he said he'd bring some fresh-kill too!"

I have such good friends, and a great leader. Pebblestar is the greatest leader EchoClan has ever had! I'm so lucky, Emberkit thought.
She was snapped out of her thoughts as Ashkit pounced on her.
"Ashkit!" She snapped.

"What," he purred. "I'm practicing for when Birchsky comes!"

Emberkit mrowed. "Haha. Bet you can't beat this!" And pummelled at Ashkit's stomach.
He winced as she hit a weak spot and he rolled away.
Emberkit stood up and shook her pelt. "Think next time before you act," she hissed playfully. " otherwise I'll beat you every time."

It was later in the evening when Birchsky finally came, a plump vole hanging from his jaws.
His green eyes sparkled as he saw the four kits.
"Hi, kits," he purred. "I came to teach you some battle moves, just like I said I would! Are you ready?"

"Yes!" Riverkit mewled.

"Ok, watch me." He ordered.
Birchsky turned towards a leaf on the ground and flicked his tail, back and forth and pounced. He unsheathed his claws and began tearing at the huge orange leaf.
"Now you try on a denmates. Claws sheathed, of course." He nodded towards Emberkit.
She glanced nervously at her denmates, swallowed and then turned to Shadowkit.
"Go on, now," Birchsky prodded. "She won't bite; this is just practice!"

"I know... I'm just scared I'll do it wrong..." Emberkit admitted.

"It's fine," Shadowkit comforted. "This is just practice. Just remember, even if you don't do it right, it will teach you what to do next time! Plus it will help me practice too." She added smugly.
Emberkit didn't answer, but while Shadowkit was sticking her nose in the air, she leaped forward onto the black she-kit and pounded her with her tiny grey paws.

"Ah!" Shadowkit squeaked in surprise and went limp.
Emberkit relaxed her grip carelessly and shouted, "I win!"

"Oh no you don't!" Shadowkit kicked upwards with her hind legs and threw Emberkit into the air. For a second, the world spun around dizzily, and then Shadowkit was on top of her, crowing about her triumph.

"Good one, kits," Birchsky purred. "You both did wonderful. Just remember next time, the battles not over until the opponent is beat."

"What do you mean by beat?" Riverkit asked from where she sat, eating the fat vole. "Isn't that a bit unmerciful  to you?"

"What do you mean?" Birchsky said gruffly.

"Never mind." Riverkit growled, just as Sandslip poked her head out and called for the kits to come inside.