Chapter 29

Emberglow played with the four kits outside the nursery. 
Fluffkit leaped at the ball of miss she was holding. "Got it!" She yowled, before tumbling to the ground.
The news of Shadowleap had been surprising- and sad, but there was nothing Emberglow could do.
Shadowleap could make her own choices, and if that choice was to live in an enemy Clan with an evil leader, then she could do that.

Emberglow turned back to the kits. Fluffkit, Snakekit and Cloverkit were turning six moons old soon and she wanted to ask if she could get Fluffkit to train.
Cloverkit bundled after her yellow sibling screeching, "Hey! You ShadeClan invader! Bring back our prey!"
Fluffkit giggled and raced on, the soft green miss bouncing from her mouth.
Then Snakekit joined in. The dark brown tom opened his mouth to make his deepest voice he could, but it sounded more like a dying rabbit then a scary warrior.
Scratchkit gave a sly smile and padded up to Fluffkit. "It's outs now." He announced. "And by the way, we're not ShadeClan. We're EchoClan!"

Cloverkit gasped. "How dare you! We're EchoClan!"
Emberglow huffed. Kits and their silly games.
Then Ashfall pushed his way into the nursery, a mouse dangling from his jaws. Probably for Windstorm. But to her surprise, he placed it in front of the kits.
"Here, kits. I know Weaselgrowl usually brings you all prey, but I wanted to today."
The light grey tom placed the mouse down and Fluffkit growled playfully. The yellow kit squeaked happily over and over with her mouth gaped in a smile. Then Chickfluff appeared. "Can you help me wash the kits?" She asked Emberglow. "It's their apprentice ceremony today." She added more quietly.
"Of course." Emberglow grabbed Fluffkit. The little yellow kit squeaked and protested. 
"Hey! I can wash myself!"
"Ok. Fine. I'll wash Snakekit." Emberglow reached to the brown kit who gratefully accepted her licks. "I remember when you kits were little! So small, so weak, and now look at you guys! You're the biggest kits I know!"
It was hard for Emberglow to forget about Shadowleap's betrayal, but helping out in the nursery made it a little better.
Suddenly Pebblestar leapt onto the High Peak. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the High Peak for a Clan meeting!"
The kits perked their ears and bounced up and down. Soon cats had gathered around.
Yellowear sat near Brightpelt and Stormpelt. Greenstem trotted happily over to Brownwhisker, who was purring. Nighthowl and Stickscratch, who were littermates, sat at opposite sides of the camp, Nighthowl with Bluewhisker, and Stickscratch with Lynxclaw. Smallstep and Longwhisker emerged from their den, tails twined.
Pebblestar spoke again. "We have three kits, old enough to become apprentices." She paused. "Snakekit, Cloverkit and Fluffkit, please come forward."
Fluffkit scampered forward excitedly, while her brother and sister walked more regally.
"Fluffkit, from this moment on you will be known as Fluffpaw. Your mentor will be Emberglow. Emberglow, you have displayed great courage and I know you will pass on all your knowledge to your Fluffpaw."
That's surprising. Isn't she supposed to tell the mentors before the ceremony? Whatever. I wanted Fluffpaw and I've got her; I should be happy.

"Hello, Fluffpaw," Emberglow purred as the young kit scampered to her. "I promise I'll train you very hard and make you a great warrior."

The ceremony continued until both Snakekit and Cloverkit had become apprentices; Snakepaw to Ashfall, and Cloverkit to Stickscratch.
The cats began to cheer.
"Fluffpaw! Snakepaw! Cloverpaw!"
Chickfluff and Weaselgrowl stood at the back of the crowd, steadily purring.

I'll be a good mentor. And I'll train Fluffpaw to be good. Nothing can stop me!