Chapter 22

It was sunrise and Riverpaw blinked her eyes open. The two apprentices; Gempaw and Waterpaw would be going home today.
Brownwhisker stood in the clearing, a huge cluster of cats gathered around him. "For the border patrol along ShadeClan's border, I think that I will get Cloudswirl to lead." He turned to the young warrior. "You can take Birchsky, Brightpelt and Stormpelt."

The young brown warrior nodded and bounded off to get the other three cats.
Then Pebblestar leaped out of her den and started mewing. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here beneath the High Peak for a Clan meeting!"
Cloudswirl sighed and his tail dropped as he padded over to the clearing. Hopefully he still gets to go on his patrol. Riverpaw thought.

Then, Pebblestar spoke again. "We must have two patrols to take the apprentices back. Brownwhisker, who do you think should take them?"

Brownwhisker quickly replied. "To go to IvyClan, Nighthowl, Stormpelt and Wildflame. Make sure Vinestar knows the truth- what actually happened."
The three cats dipped their heads and padded away, Gempaw following quickly behind.
Then, Brownwhisker raised his tail for silence. "the cats to take Waterpaw home will be Bluewhisker, Yellowear and Greenstem."

It was later that day, and all the patrols had arrived back to camp after a long day of hunting and border patrols.
Pebblestar leaped onto the High Peak and began to yowl the traditional words to call the cats together.
When all the cats were there, she spoke again. "Shadowpaw, Emberpaw and Ashpaw fought well in the battle against ShadeClan. I have been meaning to do this since the battle, but there hasn't been time. Shadowpaw, Emberpaw, Ashpaw, come forward."
The three cats opened their eyes wide as they realised what was happening. Riverpaw let out a happy pure for her sister that was so loud, she thought that all the Clans would hear her.
"Are they ready?" Pebblestar asked, glancing at Greenstem and Weaselgrowl.

Weaselgrowl shook his large brown head. "Emberpaw has worked very hard and I think she's ready."

"And I say the same for Ashpaw," Greenstem mewed.

"And I, Shadowpaw," Pebblestar finished.

Pebblestar turned to the three young cats. "Do you promise to uphold the warrior code, even at the cost of your life?"
Emberpaw nodded. "I do." Ashpaw and Shadowpaw echoed her quickly.
Pebblestar looked Emberpaw in the eye. "Then by the powers of StarClan, you shall receive your warrior names. Emberpaw, from this moment on, you will be known as Emberglow. StarClan honours your quick-thinking and readiness in battle and I know you will be a wonderful warrior."
Pebblestar touched her muzzle to Emberglow's head, and Emberglow licked her shoulder. Then Pebblestar continued. "Ashpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Ashfall. StarClan honours your lovingness towards others," she eyed Windstorm. "and nimble-paws."
After he had kicked her shoulder, Pebblestar went to Shadowpaw.
"Shadowpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Shadowleap. StarClan honours your open-mind and readiness to accept hard things in life."

Riverpaw snorted. Ha, when she was hurt, she complained about . . . All the time. But Riverpaw still began to cheer louder then anyone else. "Emberglow! Ashfall! Shadowleap!" As the Clan welcomed the new warriors.