|| NINTEEN ||

I woke up to a knock on the floorboards below me. "Y/n?" peter pan called out, "Time for training."

With a groan I opened my eyes and saw, nothing. It was still dark outside. I rubbed my eyes just to make double sure and when I opened them, still nothing. You have got to be kidding me. I rolled myself out of the hammock and got my feet underneath me. The chill of the wind and the night on Neverland touched my bones, making me shiver. I put on some long trousers, a tank top underneath and a, wool woven shall to keep me warm. almost all of the clothes that I had were too big, all I had to supply myself with were mens clothes. I found a belt in my closet. Surprising, none of the belts they had here fit me. I found a note beside it that read;
Thought you might need this. ~ Felix.

I smiled at the chestnut leather belt that was significantly smaller than all the other belts that I had seen here. On the right side of the belt was a small leather pouch that had a vine-wrapped handle at the end of it. I pulled on the handle to reveal a sheathed dagger. I smiled fondly at the nice gift from Felix. He was not a sentimental person, so this gift warmed my heart.

I re-sheathed the dagger and attacked the belt tightly around my waist, all with a smile. By the time that I was fully dressed and heading down the ladder to my treehouse, the sun was beginning to rise. A cool morning fog settled in the tree line ahead of me as I breathed in the cool air that stung my nose and throat as it traveled to my respiratory system. As I slowly adjusted my eyes from the sleep that I just had, an Erie and familiar voice spoke out behind me. "I see you are ready to start."

I turn my head around to the familiar ring of Pan's British accent. I look into his eyes, cold yet eager to get started. I simply nod my head and he signals to follow him into the forest. We walk for a while, the silence ringing in my ears even louder in the equally as quiet forest. Peter Pan and I soon came into a small clearing. With the wave of his hand, the brush cleared to reveal a cliff face that looked off onto the rising sun. I stared in awe at the beauty before me and walked closer to the edge. The trees glistened with the morning Dew and the sun shown through the glistening waterfall in the distance. Natural glitter was littered through all the trees as the sky turned a pink and orange ombré color.

"Wow," I marveled. "It's magnificent."
"Isn't it?" Pan replied from behind me. I turned around to look at him as he walked up next to me. He sat down on the cliffs edge and let his feet dangle off the edge. He took in one long breath through his nose, and it exited through his mouth. A small cloud of fog dissipated into the sky in front of him. "Welcome to your first lesson in magic." He said as he patted the space beside me, he's trying for me to sit down. I hesitated but sat beside him. He surely wouldn't push me, right?

I slowly lowered myself to be dangling over the edge of the cliff. My heart beat faster as I looked down at the infinite canopy in front of me, unknowing of how far down the ground actually was.

"So," I continued the conversation, "What is the first step?" 
 Pan got a smirk on his face and let out a breathy chuckle. "unlocking your deepest and darkest pain and sorrow."

"Jeez, that sounds awful. Are you serious right now?" I genuinely could not tell if Pan was being serious. Was this devil even capable of making jokes? I genuinely had no idea. "Of course I am serious, why wouldn't I be?" he halfway snarled at me. "you are going to have to trust me, and I mean it, or none of this will work." I simply nodded. 

"Close your eyes for me. listen to the distant sounds of running water. Listen as the waterfall hitting the pool below, the water splashing on your face and the smell of the fresh, running water, wet moss and fresh earth all linger in your nose." As pan spoke, I could hear and see everything. Everything he described I could hear and smell so distinctly. I listened intently for what he was going to say next, hanging and lingering on every single word that escaped his lips like my life depended on it. 

"Listen to the ocean waves lap peacefully on the gritty, hot sand. The salt water tingling your nostrils and the sand from the wind stinking your legs as you walked towards the cool ocean. Allow the waves to lap on your feet as you walk closer to the ocean. Now feel the hot, afternoon sun beating down on you as your hair blows back in the wind, running at intense speeds. You dodge stumps on the ground and tree branches, thorn bushes scrape at your arms and legs, stinging with the pain of a paper cut that just fuels your energy and your stamina." 
Pan placed his hands on either side of my head. I wanted to open my eyes but I couldn't, I could feel the magic pulsing through my head making my heartbeat ring inside my ears. Pans voice grew darker and spiraled around my head, moving from one ear to the other. 

"Now imagine the worst pain you have ever felt. Feel your heart break and crack with heartache, pain, such immense pain  that it swells up in your chest then your throat and to your eyes. Salt in your mouth as tears pour down your face." 
I honestly could not tell if the tears streaming down my face were real or just an illusion like the other things. What solidified it for me was feeling multiple tears drop down onto my hands and in my lap. The pain I was feeling was worse than any pain that I had ever felt in my life before as I uncontrollably sobbed. The pain in my chest was so intense I did not know if I could handle it anymore. I was begging inside my head for the pain to stop, screaming in my head for it to just end. 

I felt Pans hands lift from off my head and with that motion I heaved shaky breath as an elephant was lifted off of my chest. As soon as the weight was lifted off my chest, I was also lifted. I was heaved up and over the cliff face and dangled in the air. 
"Now imagine the scariest moments in your life as you beg and plead to be kept alive." 

"Hey what are you doing?" I questioned, my voice getting shaky and hesitant as I watched us get higher and further from our precious place. "Trust me, remember?" he said alluringly, a smirk on his face is all I saw growing further away. "I won't let you die." His voice faded as i turned to look at the quickly approaching ground. I screamed in panic. "Pan Please! Please help me!"

Adrenaline pumped furiously through my veins as i saw myself heading for a clearing and the ground got increasingly closer to me. I screamed as loud as possible, every profanity leaving my mouth with a spitting rage. I squeezed my eyes closed as I was about to hit the ground. Then I tasted gust and dirt and the wind left my face. My breathing was frantic as I opened my eyes and stared at a rock beneath my head. I hyperventilated as I was lowered to the ground. I was lowered down, and then I laid down on the ground, shaking uncontrollably. 

"Remember the feeling of having your life in someones hands, dangling through the air and dropping you, you helpless and doing nothing but screaming, pleading and saying your last goodbyes. Never, never let that feeling come over you again. Remember the feeling of begging for your life, and now, you'll never feel that agony again."

Pans words rang in my ears like he was reciting my obituary for my funeral. I needed to recover from that traumatic event I just experienced. I did not care where pan went after that, I laid on the dry ground beneath me and tasted a dirt and swear mixture in my mouth, not realizing I was sweating profusely. Peter Pans final words to me rang in my head. 

"You'll never feel that agony again." 

And I wouldn't.