|| SIXTEEN ||

We appeared on the beach line of Neverland in the pitch black. Two other of the older lost boys were already waiting for us. Felix walked to join them.
"I thought you said there was a new arrival?" I questioned, turning to Pan and raising an eyebrow. He kept his gaze fixed on the boys loading themselves into a small row boat.
"There is." He replied.
I looked up and down the beach. "Well I don't see him." I remarked sassily.

Pan chuckled. "Felix has to go and retrieve him, he's been quite the hard catch."
My eyebrow raised as I rubbed my arms, the cold ocean wind giving me goosebumps. "Retrieve him from where?" I questioned.

"Some Pirate has the boy. Come, we will wait in the woods until they get back." Pan waved his wrist as he turned and disappeared into the trees. I rolled my eyes. This guy was unbelievable sometimes. I looked over my shoulder at the boys rowing away into the darkness. I guess now I didn't have a choice.

I walked slowly into the forest and looked around, the moon lighting up a small clearing. "Where'd you go?" I called into the clearing. I stopped in the center and looked around. I huffed, shifting my weight over to my right leg and tapping my left foot. My arms folded neatly over my chest as I called out again. "Hello?"

I heard a twig snap in the surrounding wooded area. I freeze and listen. It's barley audial but I hear the crunching of grass. It's heading counterclockwise just behind me to my left. I tilt my head in that direction to get a better hear of it. How can I hear this well? I can practically tell which foot is hitting the ground. I felt myself preparing for an attack by my fists balling together. Electricity pulsed through my veins. Another twig snapped. I flipped my body around to face the opposite direction.
"Who's there?" I called into the dark.

"I see your senses are already starting to intensify."

I whipped back around to come face to face with Pan. Our faces were inches apart. I took one small step backwards. "How was I able to hear your footsteps? Normally I wouldn't be able to do that."

Pan started walking around me in a small circle. "Primal instincts my dear." He snapped his fingers and I heard a tree branch snap. It startled me and I looked towards the sound, which was off to my right.

"That," Pan paused as I snapped my head back towards him. "That sound you heard, was all the way on the other side of Neverland." He smirked.

"That's not possible." I countered him. The fact that I was able to do this astonished me. I didn't know what to do with it. How do I use it?  Obviously I'm going to learn how, from two different beings. A boy and hid shadow. I thought my life was bad before, now it seems more exciting than ever, yet why am I dreading it? My gut tells me I need to protect myself and get off his island but other things compel me to stay, it's all a jumble of mixed emotions and thoughts in my head.

"You think to much, love."
I realized Pan was now behind me in the circle he was walking. I turned to face him. "What does my 'primal instincts' have to do with any of this?" I asked, air quoting the words primal instincts.

Pan bent over and picked up a large rock off of the ground. He looked at it in his hand and smiled. He then looked at me, then threw the rock in my direction. I watched it carefully and stepped to the side. The rock bounced next to me and rolled away. "Those primal instincts. What happens when something comes at you? You move. It's a potential danger. But, since you moved out of the way, crisis avoided."

I was confused. "Yeah. It's a rock. Anybody could step to the side."

A large smirk appeared on pans face. He raised his eyebrow and in a split second a bow with an arrow knocked in it was in his hands. And In another second, that arrow was coming right for me. I gasped and leaned out of the way just in time, the arrow sunk into the tree behind me with an eerie thud.
"But not everybody can do that." I looked back over my shoulder at the arrow in the tree and then back to Pan. "How did I do that." I demanded.

Pan stepped towards me and placed two fingers under my chin and lifted my head up slightly to look him in the eyes.
"Magic." He smirked once again and then began to walk past me.
"Come. Felix and the boys have almost returned."

I followed two steps behind him as we quickly approached the beach once again. Two more boys had shown up since we have been gone. Pan sticks his arm out and blocks me from moving. He crouches down in the tree line and signals for me to do the same.
"What are we doing?" I whisper.
"Watching." He replies.

Confused, I focus forward on the boat approaching the shore. Felix steps out and a boy is thrown onto the ground with a bag over his head. Felix grabs the boy by the collar and rips the small sack from off of his head. He has very long, brown, shaggy hair. His clothes are dirty and unkept. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion at the next statement that was spoken.
"Is this the boy? The one he wants?" Felix asked.
Another lost boy takes a small rolled up paper out of his pocket and unravels it.
"No. No it's not."

Felix turns towards the boy, gripping him on the shoulder.
"It's your lucky day boy, you get to live." Felix shoves the young boy into the other two and the boy groans. "Put him with the rest!" Felix demands.

I was confused beyond belief. Put him with the rest? Lucky day? The one he wants? Who was he?
"Pan what-" My sentence was cut short by the absence of a certain someone that was next to me. I closed my mouth and furrowed my eyebrows together. Where has he gone?
I looked back towards the beach and saw the lost boys and Felix tying up the boat. I decided to make a run back to camp. The camp was quiet. A low flame sparkled in what used to be a raging fire and no lost boys danced or sang.

I got there just in time. The two lost boys who were escorting the newbie into camp had just arrived. I jogged up to them. "I'll take him from here. Pan asked me to set up His tent." They seemed to believe it, because the two boys nodded and walked away.
The boy looked up at me with soft brown eyes, full of hurt, confusion, and relief. I gave him a gently smile and placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Hey, my name is y/n. What's yours?"

He hesitated for a second, not knowing wether to trust me or not. I tried to look as reassuring as possible but I don't know if it worked or not. Finally, after a good long moment of thinking, he gave me his name.

"Balefire."