𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗟𝗢𝗚𝗨𝗘

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

PROLOGUE: THE DREAMER'S DREAM

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE BLAZING MIDDAY sun shone relentlessly on the playground area. Peaceful chirping noise came from the birds hidden amongst the trees. The play area was full of screaming, happy children spending a fulfilled day on the many swings, slides, and roundabouts. Sitting on a tread was Soo-Jin whose eyes were currently focused on the boys playing across the field, her hands full of reviewers as she was studying for her upcoming quiz bee competition.

"Soo-Jin!"

The young girl flickered her gaze to one of her bestfriends, Gi-Hun, who was mirthfully waving at her from across the grassy field. "I'm already Inspector Royal!"

Soo-Jin giggled and waved back to him. "Good job!"

Sang-Woo, her other bestfriend, bent his knees and positioned them slightly between his ankles. He was ready to block Gi-Hun from reaching the top of the field since he was on the defense team. They were both participating in a game called Squid Game, a version of tag with attackers and defenders. The goal was for a member of the offense team to tap the circle, or the 'squid's head,' at the top of the field with their foot, with the defense trying to stop them.

Soo-Jin stood up from her tread and momentarily set aside her notes to support her two bestfriends. She then put her hands around her mouth, yelling, "Go, Gi-Hun! Go, Sang-Woo!"

"Ya!" Gi-Hun shouted. "Whose side are you really on?"

Soo-Jin grinned, cheekily. "Both of you! You're my bestfriends!"

Truthfully speaking, she was kind of nervous for them both. She knew how violent the game can be as the defense team will do whatever was necessary, including pushing and pulling, to keep the offense team from winning.

At this, Gi-Hun ran past Sang-Woo and successfully evaded capture although his shirt was ripped apart since the one of the offense team members forcefully pulled it. The other kids in Gi-Hun's team yelled victory and gathered altogether in one circle, celebrating.

Soo-Jin clapped her hands, impressed and happy that her friends enjoyed their game. Right after, they all shook hands and her two bestfriends dashed to her side, instantly peeking at her papers. The soiled boy shook his head. "Until now, you're studying?"

The young girl looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "Yes, of course! The quiz bee's tomorrow. I have to make sure I have memorized everything. I don't want to lose."

Gi-Hun then sat beside her, sighing. "When have you ever lost, Soo-Jin? You and Sang-Woo are like the smartest people out there! You will win this quiz bee! I just know it!"