𝟬𝟭. 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗗 𝗪𝗜𝗧𝗛 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗬𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 𝗕𝗨𝗧𝗧𝗢𝗡𝗦

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

ONE | THE CARD WITH THE PLAYSTATION BUTTONS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE LEAVES WERE dancing, following the sway of the gentle wind. The night was black as ever, but bright stars lit up the sky, sprinkled across the astronomical landscape like diamonds. Walking along the sidewalk was Chang Soo-Jin with her hands in her pockets, exhausted and forlorn.

It had been twenty-six years ever since her parents died and she was left alone to take care of her adoptive sister. So much had happened ever since that day, her life took a sharp turn and everything just went from bad to worse. She discovered that her parents were robbed and stabbed to death that fateful evening and that they owed millions of money to the bank since they planned to open a beer bar in Itaewon-dong.  They had put all of their assets --  entire savings and estate as financial collateral.

The bank took away all of her parents' properties and the two Chang sisters were left with almost little money, but Soo-Jin was still hopeful despite of their financial trouble. She only had one more year left before she graduates.

But, life... life was cruel.

Her younger sibling, Hana, was diagnosed with kidney disease and was going to be on dialysis for the rest of her life.

Soo-Jin, despite not wanting to let go her dream of becoming a lawyer, dropped out of university and worked three jobs -- sometimes four, to sustain herself and pay her sister's dialysis. It was difficult at first, especially since there weren't really many companies that hired female workers. The sisters had to even leave Ssangmun-dong and rented a cheap apartment to really lower their expenses. It worked for the last twenty-six years until now.

Hana's physician currently told her that her sister had needed immediate kidney transplant to live. Soo-Jin felt her world crash and burn once again when the doctor informed her that the transplant will cost millions of won, the same amount of money she owed to loan sharks.

The silence at the train station was usual, and even quieter since less people were around anymore. Some people held newspapers in their hands, while some were busy checking their phones. Soo-Jin noticed a small family were having a small chit chat with one another and she can't help, but shed a tear at the sight. It had been so long since she felt the warmth of family. She missed her adoptive parents. She missed the life she had. She wished she could go back to her childhood days where it was all easy and happy.

Do I not deserve to be happy?

She then sighed and wiped her tears. "No, you are strong, Chang Soo-Jin. You can do this. You are smart, talented, and determined. There's nothing that can bring you down."

I can do this. She thought. And even if I can't: I have to.

Actually, her co-workers advised her to marry a rich man or be a sugar baby to solve all of her financial problems and Soo-Jin knew it will work, but she wasn't just going to let a man do that for her. She had principles, and those were the only things she had left. Soo-Jin wants her pride to be intact so if she has to work more than three jobs, then so be it.