𝟮𝟮. 𝗘𝗬𝗘𝗦 𝗢𝗡 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗣𝗥𝗜𝗭𝗘

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

TWENTY TWO | EYES ON THE PRIZE

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

WHAT IS GRIEF?

Grief is the loss of someone you deeply love or care about, and right now, Chang Soo-Jin was experiencing this. She felt lonely, like there was a crippling weight on her shoulders. She was also angry, not at anyone, but at the world. How fucking dare they take someone from her?

She had been good. She did the right things, chose the right decision everytime, but still why? Why did they punish her? For what?

Soo-Jin felt the loss was incomparable to the pain and hardships life threw at her. She only knew the boy for a few days, but she had never felt such a deep maternal connection with anyone before. It broke her heart.

Because she failed.

For the first time in her life, she failed.

And she couldn't accept that.

She failed to save the boy in this games.

She even didn't know her grandfather was in the games.

Was it her fault?

Was it all her fault?

It was as if her chest had been cut open and someone took her heart away since she felt void. Soo-Jin didn't talk to anyone while they marched back to the room. No one spoke anyway. They were too fatigued and traumatized by what happened. They had just witnessed the deaths of the people closest to them. It was even worse for Soo-Jin since she didn't only see one, but two people who are dear to her die.

She stumbled inside the white large room, her head hanging low when she saw someone's very familiar voice rang in. "Deok-su, honey, so glad you won."

At this, everyone turned to her, shocked, even Soo-Jin. She was confused as to why she was still alive when she assumed earlier the guards killed her. Deok-Su stammered, "How… how the hell…"

"What? You’re looking at me like you’ve seen a ghost. Are you okay?" scoffed Mi-Nyeo. "The masked guys all called me this, “the weakest link.” Like when nobody chooses you as a partner for things when you were a kid."

She saw Gi-Hun step forward out in the corner of her eye.

"Ya, this guy knows about it." She then pointed to Deok-Su, cackling. "The weakest link! And after that, they gently escorted me back to this dorm. Because they said that it’s all a part of a rule that in the old days not to let a kid turn into some kind of an outcast, I guess."

"Goddamn it!"

"It’s amazing, isn’t it?"

Soo-Jin vaulted onto her bed, immediately noticing the absence of her bunker partner. Hissing, she hugged the pillow to her face, accepting his torment. Her lungs rummaged for oxygen, and her sobbing had the same force of someone drowning. The flesh under her ribcage throbbed, her cheeks burned, and her mind created memories and scenarios that made the tears continue.