Chapter 5

TW: Blood

-------------------

The two knights ran in. They looked at the scene. Mr. Orman stood up with Alex in his arms. There was a gash on his forehead.

Elijah ran into the room with bandaids and gave them to Mr. Orman. He wrapped them around the wound and looked at the knights.

"Do you know who did this?" The woman asked. Mr. Orman shook his head.

"They were masked," He explained. "And I didn't take much time to try to get their identity." He looked back at his wife and daughter.

Elijah sat down next to Pierce and licked his face. There was a mix of salty tears and blood. The poor boy blankly stared at his family, not moving. Elijah finished cleaning his face and sat in front of him. They opened their wings to block everything. Pierce looked at the dragon, more tears falling down from his eyes.

Elijah made a small ring of smoke, it blew into the little boy's face. He blinked and watched it disappear. Elijah made another and Pierce smiled.

Elijah lurded the boy to the front yard and played with him until the knights came out of the front door. One held April. She was covered by a sheet. The other carried Alex.

Mr. and Mrs. Orman walked out and over to Pierce. Mrs. Orman picked him up.

"Mommy?" He mumbled. "Where's Alex and April going?" Mrs. Orman smiled but didn't reply. She put her head on Pierce's. Mr. Orman walked farther away and motioned for Elijah to follow him.

He crouched down and Elijah sat in front of him.

"We think Alex has brain damage," He whispered. "The knights are going to bring him to the castle to get him treated." Elijah looked down, a few squeak sounds coming from them. Mr. Orman tilted his head. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring. He put it on his finger and lifted Elijah's face.

"Hey," He said. "It's not your fault." Elijah sniffed.

"But I wasn't there doing my job." They mumbled. Mr. Orman shook his head.

"You did everything I could've asked you to do." Elijah slowly nodded. "April's funeral will be this Friday. Alex won't be able to come. Could you check on him before coming?"

"Of course sir." Elijah whipped their eyes.

"It's Allan to you." Mr. Orman stood up and walked back over to his wife.

-

There was a soft knock on the door. Mrs. Orman opened the door, holding a small cup of tea. She smiled at Elijah, sleeping on the foot of Peirce's bed. She lightly shook them awake.

Elijah looked up at her. She was dressed in black. She walked back over to the door and Elijah followed her.

Mrs. Orman went into the master bedroom and patted on the bed. Elijah jumped up and reached for the tea.

"I'll be back in an hour." Mrs. Orman left and closed the door behind her. Elijah drank the tea and lied down.

-

The door opened and Mrs. Orman smiled. Elijah was standing on the other side of the bed, fixing it. They were wearing black traditional clothes and their hair was tied into a braid. They were much taller, their horns were more twisted, but still missing one, their tail and wings were bigger, they had claws with rings, and sharp teeth.

"I've haven't seen you like this since Uncle Sal's wedding," Mrs. Orman walked over. Elijah smiled.

The tea was mixed with a special potion to make the dragon's return to their natural form. It was only used for special occasions like weddings or funerals.