Chapter 16

Year: 380

"Aakil look! I grew spikes!" Elijah ran up to the older dragon, who was organizing their bookshelf. They looked at the young dragon that sat in front of them, wagging their tail so much their whole body moved with it.

They patted Elijah's head. "That means you can start learning to fly soon." Elijah smiled.

"Can we start now??" Aakil shook their head.

"I have a meeting to go to," Aakil said. "I'll teach you once I get back, ok?" Elijah nodded furiously.

Aakil bent down and Elijah climbed onto their back. They went over to the spiral and flew down.

Once at the bottom, Elijah slid down Aakil's wing and ran out of the doggy door. They ran to the living room and saw Oliver, Al, and Tina talking. Elijah jumped up onto Al's lap and laid down.

Oscar chuckled and scratched Elijah's head. Elijah saw the shiny ring on Oscar's finger and nibbled on it. Al laughed again and lightly pushed Oscar's hand away.

"You can't eat that little buddy," Al said. "It cost me a lot." Oscar smiled and laid his head on Al's shoulder.

Aakil walked up to Tina and rested their head on her knee. Tina rubbed the bridge of the dragon's nose, making them smile.

"Are you ready to go?" Tina asked. Aakil lightly nodded. Tina stood up and the two left.

-

The front down clicked. Elijah sprung up and ran over. Tina walked in and smiled.

"Sorry Elijah," She bent down and scratched behind Elijah's ear. "They won't be back for about another hour. Why don't you go play in the backyard until they get back?"

Elijah scoffed and sat in front of the door.

"Or not," Tina laughed and walked into the kitchen.

-

Oscar sat up in bed. The moon shined in through the window providing him some light. He turned to Al, whose eyes slightly opened.

"Where are you going?" Al asked. Oscar got out of bed.

"Just getting some water," He walked over to the door. "Go back to bed. I'll be back in a few seconds." He opened the door and left.

Oscar went down the stairs and towards the kitchen. He noticed a figure laying in front of the front door. He walked over and saw Elijah laying there looking up at the door.

Oscar bent down and went to pick them up. Elijah wiggled out of Oscar's hands and made a few squeaking noises.

"You wanna stay here?" Oscar whispered. Elijah nodded, not taking their eyes off the door. Oscar sighed and sat next to Elijah.

Year: 383

Elijah stood up from their bed and walked into the kitchen. Oscar gave them a piece of toast. Elijah took it in their mouth and brought it over to the door.

They sat down and ate. Oscar sighed and looked at Al sitting at the table.

"Do you think we should bring them to therapy or something?" Oscar mumbled. "This isn't healthy. Everyday they sit in front of that door waiting for Aakil to come back." Al held Oscar's hand.