Chapter 12

Year: 368

Elijah stared up at the window in the door. Every now and then they'd stand up, walk in a circle, and sit down again.

A woman came from around the corner. She watched Elijah stare at the door for a few more seconds before walking over to them. She crouched down and tilted her head.

"What're you doing?" She laughed. Elijah walked up to the door, scratched it, then stuck their nose into the small crack between the door and the door frame.

"Do you want to go outside?" The woman asked. Elijah shook their head and scoffed. They flopped onto the floor and sighed. The woman looked at them confused. Elijah lifted their head and began making soft squeaking sounds.

"Sorry bud," The woman patted their head. "I can't understand what you're saying." Elijah rolled around in frustration. They got up and ran around for a bit then returned to the door. The woman rubbed the bridge of her nose.

"Why don't we go outside and play?" The woman asked. Elijah shook their head. She sighed and went back into the other room.

Elijah stayed laying down in front of the door. Soon, there was a soft click. Elijah shot up and ran around.

Oscar opened the door and Elijah ran at him, their tail wagging so much their whole body moved.

Oscar laughed and picked them up. Elijah began licking his face. The woman came around the corner and sighed.

"So THAT'S what they wanted." She laughed. "They've been sitting in front of the door the whole day."

"Thanks for babysitting, Summer." Oscar smiled.

"Anytime," Summer grabbed her bag and left. Elijah pressed their head into Oscar's neck. They made a soft pur-like sound, making Oscar smile.

"You missed me, huh?" He walked into the kitchen. Elijah climbed around his neck and onto his head. Once Oscar reached the counter, Elijah climbed onto the shelves above it. There was a small bowl of food. Another bowl sat on the ground, a bowl of water next to it. Elijah began eating from it.

Oscar rolled his eyes. "You know you're not supposed to climb on my head to get up there." Elijah continued to eat. Oscar lightly picked them up and put them back on the floor. Elijah scoffed and stared up at Oscar with a frown.

"You can eat up there once you fly up there," Oscar said. "It's for flight training, not climbing training."

Elijah went over to the bottom of the island and climbed up it to the top. They looked up at the shelf. They crouched down and prepared themselves to jump.

Elijah swung their tail a little and jumped up, forgetting the fact they'd need to use their wings.

Oscar quickly spun around and caught them.

"Someone's got motherly instincts," Al laughed and walked into the kitchen. Oscar put Elijah down again and they ran over to Al. He picked them up and looked at their wings.

"They haven't used them at all yet." Oscar said, walking over. Elijah glanced at their outstretched wing and jumped. They growled and bit it, quickly regretting it. Elijah pressed into Al's chest more and continued to growl at their own wings.

"I don't think they realize they have wings," Al chuckled. "Don't worry. It's normal for adopted dragons to not fly yet. In the wild they learn from their siblings and other animals. They'll figure it out soon."

Al put Elijah down. They began chasing their wings in circles. Oscar laughed and went over to their food bowl. He shook it, getting the dragon's attention. They ran over and began eating, forgetting about their wings.

"I say we take them for a walk tomorrow," Oscar said. "I bought a collar and leash the other day." Al nodded in agreement.

-

Oscar slipped the collar over Elijah's head. It was very easy considering they weren't old enough to grow horns yet.

There was a small bow tie sewed onto the front of it and a bell hanging from it. Oscar picked Elijah up and brought showed them to Al.

"Look!" Oscar cheered. "They're a fancy dragon!" Elijah wagged their tail, making the bell jingle softly. Al laughed and lightly shook his head.

"You're strange," He said and ruffled Oscar's hair. He clipped the leash onto Elijah's collar and Oscar put them down.

They walked through the center of town, a few children stopping to play with Elijah. There was another dragon, sitting outside a store waiting for their owner. They were much older and their hair was in a long braid.

Elijah pranced over to them and stared up at them. The dragon laid down and let Elijah climb onto their back.

An older woman with curly black hair and dark skin came out of the store. She looked at the dragon and smiled. Al and Oscar assumed the woman was the dragon's owner.

"Sorry about them," Oscar said. He went to go pick Elijah up but the older dragon blocked them with their wing. Their owner crouched down next to them and scratched their head.

"Easy buddy," She mumbled. The dragon lowered their wing. "Sorry about that. They're protective." The woman stood up and smiled at Oscar and Al. "They lost their egg a year ago. They tend to attach to younger dragon's."

Oscar looked at the two. Elijah laid in the dragon's hair, smelling the flower's woven into it.

"What's your name? Maybe they could meet up again." Oscar said. The woman smiled.

"Tina Harkna," The woman said softly.

"I'm Oscar Melscar and this is Al Greenal,"

.

.

.