Chapter 7

"Hiya!" Denis called. He threw open the door and ran in, Samantha behind him. There was a fort made of pillows and blankets. Alex crawled out and stood tall in front of the two.

"You foolish knights!" He announced. "How dare you challenge me?!" Denis held out a cardboard sword.

"We've come for our treasure!" Denis said. "Hand it over! Or we'll take it back ourselves!" Alex shook his head.

"Never! You'll have to get through me and my dragon first!" Elijah came out of the fort and sat next to Alex.

"Sam- Sub!" Denis said. "Get him!" Sub ran at Alex and pretended to hit him with her sword. Alex dramatically fell down.

"I've been hit!" Alex cried. "Elijah! Avenge me!" Elijah pounced Sub and hugged her, preventing her from getting up.

"Sub no!" Denis yelled. "I'll save you!" He ran at Elijah and pointed his cardboard sword at them.

"Let my sidekick go!" Denis demanded. Elijah stared at him for a moment before blowing a small cloud of smoke at his face. Denis covered his face.

"Ack! I can't see!" Denis called. Alex stood up, ran over, and pushed Denis back onto a beanbag.

"Yay!" He cheered. "We win!" Elijah got off of Sub and went over to Alex, who scratched the top of their head.

"That's not how the story goes," Denis mumbled and stood up. Alex looked at him confused.

"What do you mean? What story?" Alex asked. Denis grabbed a book and showed it to Alex.

"The knights are supposed to get the treasure back and bring it to the king," Denis said.

"But...wasn't the treasure the wizard's to begin with? The king stole it from him," Denis looked at the book. He flipped through the pages and gasped.

"Oh my god!" He yelled. "They kill the dragon!" Everyone gasped. Alex partionaly picked up Elijah and hugged them, their bottom half still on the ground.

"What's wrong with them!?" Sub called. Denis slammed the book shut.

"I say we burn it and use it to make marshmallows!" Denis held the book in the air.

"Yeah!" Everyone cheered.

【┘】

Denis opened a large door. There was a huge crowd of people, all dressed in fancy clothing and shiny jewelry.

Mrs. Orman tapped Alex's shoulder. "Your father and I will be at our table. You have fun." Alex nodded and his parents walked away.

"Our table should be over here," Denis said and led Alex and Elijah through the crowd. He led them to a table where Sub sat, playing with a napkin. Sub stood up and gave Alex a hug.

"You look so fancy!" He said. Alex laughed. Sub looked at Elijah and flinched. "Jesus! Someone went overboard." Elijah playfully punched Sub's shoulder.

"Is that a grey hair?" Denis joked looking at Elijah's hair. Elijah groaned and slouched down.

"Careful guys, I don't want them to have a heart attack and fossilize." Alex laughed. Elijah sighed and walked away.

"Hey come back!" Alex whined, going after them. "Do you need help crossing the street?" Denis and Sub bursted into laughter as they heard Elijah groan again.

-

Alex, Denis, and Sub sat at the table talking for a while. Denis looked back. Elijah was over in a small section, talking with other dragons.

"What do you think they're talking about?" Denis asked. Alex shrugged.

"The big bang probably." Alex laughed. "Elijah's the oldest dragon here. Wouldn't be surprised if they were friends with a dinosaur."

"Attention everyone!" A voice rang out. Everyone turned to look at the top of a large staircase. A few knights and an announcer stood in front of a large decorated door.

The knights opened the door and everyone stood up. A man wearing a fancy suit with a cape dragging behind him walked out. Everyone bowed.

"Thank you all for coming," He called. "As you all know, it's the kingdom's anniversary! The day our ancestors founded the land that we live on today," The king continued his speech.

Elijah walked over to the table, sat next to Alex, and sighed.

"It's the same speech every year," Elijah mumbled. "My past owner's family were invited to every. Single. Party. I could recite the whole thing in my sleep." Elijah laid down and sighed. Alex let out a soft chuckle. Denis and Sub looked at Alex confused.

After the speech had finished, everyone sat down again. Sub looked at Alex.

"What were you laughing at before?" Sub asked.

"Oh!" Alex said. "I forgot to tell you guys." He showed the ring on his finger.

"You're married?!" Denis called.

"What- No!" Alex said. "It's a special ring my grandma gave me. It allows me to talk to Elijah!"

Denis and Sub looked at each other then back at the ring. Alex took the ring off and placed it on the table. Denis picked it up and looked it over before putting it on.

The two took turns using the ring and talking with Elijah.

After a while, food was brought out to the tables. Elijah went back over to the other dragon's for their food.

"You didn't have a shift today?" Alex asked Denis. He shook his head.

"They said I didn't have to 'work' but still be in uniform just in case," Denis explained. "I'm kinda like back up if something goes wrong."

Soon, Elijah came back to the table. They pressed their head into Alex's leg and lied down. Alex scratched the top of their head.

"You ok?" He mumbled. Elijah shook his head.

"I don't feel good," Elijah said and rested their head on Alex's lap. Alex looked back up at his friends.

"Elijah doesn't feel good," Alex said. "I think I'm going to take them home to rest." Denis and Sub nodded.

-

Alex went downstairs to the kitchen. He saw one of the maids getting the tea he requested ready.

Alex took the tray the cup was on. There was also some fruit and bread. The maid turned around.

"Sir," She mumbled. "I could take that." She reached for the tray. Alex pulled it away.

"Shana, I need to go upstairs anyways." Alex said and walked away. He began walking up the stairs.

A sudden thud came from upstairs. Alex quickly went up to Elijah's room and knocked on the door.

"Elijah?" He called. There was no answer. Alex opened the door. "Oh my god!"

.

.

.