Chapter 15

"Elijah look what-" Alex walked out of the house. He stopped, noticing that the dragon was gone. He looked around and spotted the tower. He noticed something moving around at the top.

Alex ran towards to and frantically looked for a way to the tower. He found the spiral of wooden planks and looked up.

A few soft sniffles were heard from the top. Alex climbed to the top and saw Elijah laying in a pile of dusty blankets.

"Elijah?" Alex mumbled, slowly walking towards them. Elijah turned and looked at him, tears falling down their face. Alex ran over and knelt down next to them. "What happened?!"

Elijah sighed and laid down again. "I used to have a dragon friend that lived here. I'd call them more than a friend though. They were like my second parent." They smiled. Alex whipped their tears away.

"Where are they?" Alex said. "Did they move or something?"

"I don't know," Elijah stood up and looked out the window. "They went to a important meeting and never came back. Their owner was so upset about it, she-" Elijah paused and looked down.

"It's ok," Alex sighed. "You don't need to tell me anything else." He hugged Elijah and rubbed their back.

They was the sudden sound of serval loud steps. Denis and Sub came up from the spiral, panicked.

"What happened to you two?" Alex asked.

"Your dad! He's here!" Sub called.

"He brought a group of knights with him." Denis pointed at the ground below them. Knights were running into different buildings.

"Alright," Alex said. "We need to come up with a plan and quickly."

There was the sound of a door closing.

"Sir! I heard someone up there!" A voice called.

"Shit," Alex mumbled. He went out onto the balcony. "Elijah. Can you fly us down there." Elijah looked at Alex and fidgeted with their fingers.

"U-uhm,"

"This way!" The voice called again.

"About that-"

"Don't move!" Everyone turned and looked at the knight holding their sword out. The knight scanned the room, looking at each other them.

"Denis?" The knight lowered their weapon slightly. "What the hell are you doing helping them?!"

"I'm so sorry," Denis ran at the knight and shoved him down the tower. He stepped away, shaking a little.

Alex looked around. "Climb down the side. Some of the stones are sticking out." Alex grabbed onto the side of the tower and slowly climbed down the side. The others followed him until they reached the ground.

They ran into the forest again. They stopped after a few seconds to catch their breath. Sub went over to Denis and hugged him.

"I-I killed a man," Denis mumbled. Sub hugged him tighter.

"It's ok," Sub said. "You did the right thing."

Elijah stood off to the side. Their dug into their pockets and pulled out a few pieces of paper. Alex glanced over at them.

"What's that?" Elijah looked up at him.

"They have pictures of my friend, Aakil." Elijah smiled softly. "I don't have any of them." They looked down at the paper. Alex walked over and looked at it as well. It looked like a newspaper article.

Elijah's smiled faded. Alex took the paper and looked at the heading.

Dragon found dead in castle

"Oh my god," Alex whispered. He read through the article.

Members of the king's staff stated they were aware of the murder but threatened if they attempted to share the incident with others.

Sub walked over to Alex and looked at the article. "Does that mean whoever did this is still working for the king?" Alex shook his head.

"I don't think they work for the king...I think it is the king"

.

.

.