Chapter 11

Elijah laid down on the grass and closed their eyes. They laid there for a few minutes before there was the sound of footsteps on the crunchy leaves.

Alex emerged from the trees holding a bag. Elijah glanced at him before covering their face with their wing.

Alex sighed and sat down next to them. He dug into the bag and pulled out two things, clothes and the picture. He placed them in front of Elijah and left.

Elijah poked his head out and looked at the items. They sat up and picked up the picture.

They smiled, placed it down, and changed. After, they picked the picture up again and laid down, holding it close to them.

【┘】

Year: 367

Town square

The sun shone through the clouds in the sky. The grass was still damp from the morning dew and the town was beginning to wake.

A young man, dressed in traditional wizard robes walked through the town, waving to everyone he passed.

He walked past a shop, a sign hanging from the door. The man walked up to it.

Dragon eggs sold here

500 gold coins!

The man pushed the door open and looked over the store. It was a warming welcome. There were toys and other random items on the shelves. The man walked towards the back of the store and knocked on the wooden counter.

A large man came out from the back and smiled.

"Oscar!" He cheered. "Good to see you lad!" The wizard smiled.

"I saw your sign," Oscar said. "Got any left?" The store owner opened the back door and came out with a scaled egg wrapped in blankets.

"What about this guy?" The man held a torch up to the egg. The silhouette of a curled up dragon showed through. "They seem good and healthy."
"I'll take them!" Oscar smiled.

"Good. Because it's the only one I have left." The two laughed.

-

Oscar walked through the town, holding two bags of supplies. The store owner walked next to him, carefully holding the dragon egg in a warm nest of blankets.

They arrived at the wizard's small house. Oscar put the bags down and closed the door behind his friend.

"I always wonder why you have such a small house," The store owner looked around. "I mean- you're wealthy. Why not buy a mansion?" Oscar smiled.

"I like things small. It's nice and cozy." He walked down the hall to the kitchen. "You can put the egg in the last room down that hall. Then come have a drink with me." The store owner nodded.

-

"Thanks for having me over Oscar," The store owner said.

"Anytime Al," They said their goodbyes and Oscar closed the door. He grabbed the bags and brought them to the room at the end of the hall.

He saw the egg sitting wrapped up in the blankets and smiled. He put the bags down and sat next to it. He lightly pressed his hand on the top of it.

"I'll give you the best life you could ask for,"

-

"Oscar! It's happening!" Al called. Oscar ran down the hall. He saw the egg lightly moving and a crack on the side.

He sat next to Al and waited. There was another crack and a soft squeak was heard. A small hand emerged from the egg and soon a small dragon slipped out. Oscar took a towel and wrapped it around them.

"Look at them!" Oscar called.

"Their a small little guy," Al rubbed the dragons back.

"They're adorable!" Oscar jumped around and abruptly hugged Al. He quickly pulled away and blushed in embarrassment. "Sorry, I'm just really excited." Al laughed.

"I can tell."

Oscar sat down and held the dragon in his arms. He whipped them down, mainly their face. The dragon blinked and looked up at the wizard. They smiled and climbed up Oscar's shirt before curling up into his neck.

"I think they like you, Oscar." Al mumbled. Oscar smiled.

-

"Elijah get back here!" Al yelled. The dragon ran down the hall, the clicking of their sharp claws heard on the wooden floor. Al ran after them. "Come on! You need to take a bath!"

Elijah ducked under the couch where Al couldn't reach them. The man still attempted to grab them. Elijah growled and hissed, backing away from Al's hand.

"What are you doing on the floor?" Al sat up and looked at the front door. Oscar stood there confused with a goofy smile on his face.

"Elijah wouldn't get in the tub," Al explained. "They're hiding under the couch." He and Oscar both looked under it. Elijah was pressed up against the wall behind the couch, their back hunched and their sharp teeth showing.

Oscar stood up and went into the kitchen. He came back with a small bag filled with treats. He went over to the couch and shook the bag.

Elijah relaxed and crawled out from under the couch. They sat down in front of Oscar's feet and stared up at the bag.

Al took the opportunity to pick them up and bring them back outside. They were covered in dirt and mud from playing in the backyard.

The two brought the dragon over to a bucket filled with warm water. Al gently took off the dragon's clothes and put them in the bucket while Oscar knelt down and entertained them with treats so they wouldn't run away again.

After they had finished cleaning the dragon, the two brought Elijah inside, got them dressed into warm clothes, and wrapped them up in blankets.

"It's supposed to be cold tonight," Oscar said. "Dragons are cold blooded, right?" Al nodded.

"Wouldn't want them getting sick," Al walked up next to Oscar who was playing with Elijah. He put his hand on Oscar's shoulder and smiled.

"You've been doing a good job," He mumbled. Oscar shook his head.

"No. WE've been doing a good job."

.

.

.