Chapter 13

Year: 375

Elijah ran into the large house, sliding on the floors a little. They went up the stairs and to a large doggy door at the end of the hall.

Inside was a series of wooden planks, spiralling up the tower. Elijah looked up at the top. They looked back at their wings and sighed before making their way to the first plank.

Once at the top, there were blankets, shelves, and other things around the room. The roof was made of glass and there was a small balcony.

Elijah went out onto the balcony and saw the other dragon laying in the sun.

"Aakil!" Elijah called and ran over. They snuck under the older dragon's wing and laid next to them. Aakil looked at them and smiled.

"Someone's in a good mood," Aakil said. Elijah wagged their tail. 

"It's Oscar's birthday! Al is planning something special and I'm a part of it! He told me not to tell anyone though. Because it's a surprise. So don't tell anyone!" Elijah giggled. Aakil nodded.

"You're secrets safe with me," Aakillowered their head again. Elijah climbed onto the dragon's back, weaving in between the spikes that stuck out from their spine. They climbed onto Aakils head right under their horns.

Elijah looked at Aakil's large horns that twisted and bent into a majestic looking shape. Elijah sighed and felt the top of their head.

They suddenly shot up and jumped down in front of Aakil's face.

"I felt a bump!" Elijah cheered. "That means I'm gonna get big horns like yours!" Aakil smiled and flet the top of Elijah's head. They moved the younger dragon's hair revealing two small bright colored stubs.

"Does that mean I'll get spikes soon too??" Elijah's tail wagged in excitment. Aakil nodded. "I wanna look just like you! You look so cool!" Elijah climbed onto their back again.

"Thank you," Aakil said softly. "Now. Why don't you lay down in the sun? It's suppose to get cloudy later."

Elijah nodded and laid down on top of Aakil's hair.

-

The stars and moon shined through the windows of the house. Oscar walked through the halls, Tina beside him.

"Aakil's room is right this way." She lead Oscar to the spiral of wooden planks.

"What's this for?" Oscar looked up the tower, seeing the planks go all the way to the top.

"It's for wing exercise," Tina said, walking over to the first plank. "Aakil just flys to the top." Oscar nodded and they began climbing the planks.

Once at the top, Aakil and Elijah laid in a pile of blankets. Aakil's tail wrapped around the younger dragon. Tine smiled.

"They've grown so close," She mumbled. She walked over and lightly shook Aakil awake. "Oscar needs to take Elijah home now, ok?" Aakil nodded. They grabbed the back of Elijah's clothes with their teeth and brought them over to Oscar.

He took Elijah from Aakil and they went to rest again.

Oscar went back down the planks, said goodbye, and began the walk home.

【┘】

Present time

Elijah looked at the photo in the broken frame. They took the picture out of the frame. It unfolded and Al stood next to Oscar, his hand on Oscar's shoulder.

There was the rustle of leaves. Alex walked up to Elijah. The dragon looked up at him, a smile on their face and tears falling from their eyes.

Alex whipped their tears away and gave a soft smile.

"Thank you for bringing this," Elijah sniffed. Alex nodded.

"You're welcome," He looked at the picture. "I didn't know there was someone else in the photo."

"You father wouldn't let me show the full picture," Elijah looked down.

"Why not?"

"They were married." Alex's eyes widened. Elijah sighed and folded the picture up. They handed it to Alex to keep in the bag.

Elijah picked up the frame and brought it to the fire. They dropped it in and it caught fire. Denis and Sub were both asleep, laying on a blanket.

Elijah looked back at Alex.

"What's wrong?" Elijah asked. Alex rubbed his eyes.

"You're first owners were were gay?" Alex asked.

"Yes. Why? Is there a problem with that?"

"No! No! I actually am as well...I was nervous about telling you because being gay was considered punishable by death when you were a kid." Elijah walked over to Alex and hugged him.

"Several wars also happened," Elijah mumbled. "I've been through a lot of sh!t. I don't care if two guys kiss." 

The two laughed.

.

.

.