Chapter 20

"Let me go *sshole!" Alex screamed. The knight opened the door and shoved him inside. He tripped on a few steps but gained his balance. He went down the stairs and saw Denis and Sub sitting on the ground.

Denis held his knee and Sub looked around the dark room. Alex went over and sat next to Denis. He looked at his friend's knee.

"I hit it on the stairs, then landed on it." Denis choked out through his teeth. Alex sighed and looked around.

A large figure was in the corner.

It moved, making Alex jump. He got the other two's attention and pointed in the direction. A deep growl was heard. Alex stood and began walking over, while the others yelled at him to stop.

As Alex got closer, he could make out what the figure was. A dragon. They were missing an eye and were very thin, you could see the outlines of their bones on their skin. Their hair was very long and some of it draped in front of their face.

Their back was hunched, the spikes on their back sticking up. Their back leg had a chain on it. They stood over another dragon who seemed to be asleep.

"Elijah!" Alex called. The dragon relaxed a little and looked down at Elijah. They laid down, partially on top of Elijah, and covered them. They covered Elijah with their wings and bared their teeth.

Alex walked a little closer, bending down and sticking his hand out. He sat down close enough to the dragon. He pressed his hands on his forehead, his palms facing towards the dragon. He closed his eyes.

The dragon slowly stood up and went up to Alex. They sniffed him and then pressed their head on Alex's hands.

It was a sign used to show peace. Alex opened his eyes and looked at Elijah. He pointed at them. The older dragon nodded and Alex ran over. He hugged Elijah, waking them up.

After realizing what was happening, Elijah tried to hug back. The chain that held their hands back prevented them from doing so.

Instead, they pressed their head into Alex's chest, their tail thumping on the floor. The older dragon came over. Elijah began talking to them, the others not having a clue of what they were saying.

Elijah went over to a wall and scratched something into it with his claw. Alex read it and smiled.

A a k i l l

-

The group all sat around, trying to come up with an escape plan. Breaking down the door wasn't an option. It had some sort of magic shield to protect it.

"The walls are all stone. There's no way we're breaking that down." Alex mumbled. The sound of a door opening was heard.

Aakil pushed Elijah behind them and tensed up. They slightly stood up on all four, looking like they were about to pounce on something. It made the others nervous.

They backed away from the stairs. The king walked into the room. He looked over at everyone.

"Come with me," The king demanded. They all looked at each other. Two knights came down the stairs and went behind the three. The king began walking back up the stairs, the others unwillingly following close behind.

They left the basement and were brought to a large open room. They're parents all sat on a couch.

Denis and Sub's mothers ran up to them and engulfed them in a hug.

"My poor baby! Are you hurt?" Ms. Ellington cried. Sub nodded, staring at the floor. Ms. Kopotun hugged her son. She looked down at Denis' knee and brought him over the couch.