~"Sorry, I Can't.."~

Y/n's Pov

I find myself in a dark place, there seemed to be no light anywhere near me. I feel my way around until I get to a large metal door. I open it slowly. I walk into the room cautiously, afraid of what I might find. I notice I step in something wet. I look down to see a large pool of blood, leading to a bunch of different corpses. The thick crimson liquid had been splattered across the old brick walls and had seeped into their clothing. All of them had the same bouquet of red flowers struck through their heart as Sage did. I feel my heart drop when I see the corpses of all of my friends, laying there cold and lifeless. I feel the tears burning in my eyes as I slowly back away from them, slightly stumbling over my own feet. I hear heavy breathing behind me and quickly turn to it. Behind me stood the same creature I had seen that unfortunate night.

~~~~~~~~~~

I shot up out of bed in a cold sweat. I quickly look over and see all of them sleeping peacefully, completely unharmed. I let out a breath of relief. I quietly open my drawer and grab my sketchbook so I could draw something to calm myself down. I flip to a blank page and begin sketching out all of my friends under our tree. I continue drawing until I look over to the clock to read 6:49 am. I place the sketchbook down on my bed and quietly walk to her room to help with the younger children. Once I arrive at my mother's room, I gently pick up Monika and Theo and carry them out to the dining hall with me. I sit them down in the chairs near me as I start setting the tables. Mom comes out of her room, the rest of the children aged 2-4 following close behind. She picks up the bell off of the table and walks back into the hallway. Soon after, children come rushing into the dining hall, full of energy as always.

Gillian runs up to me and drags me over to our table, not even giving me a chance to protest. They're all chatting about their normal topics, although, something's off about it. Everyone in our friend group seems to be acting differently today, but I don't know why. As far as I know, none of them saw what happened at the gate. Although, they act as something happened between last night and this morning. I'm going to assume Paula told them something was wrong with me and that's why they're acting differently. 

After we all finish eating, we go to the classroom to do the daily test.

~~~~~~~~~~

Paula's Pov - 9:17 pm, September 16th, 2039

I noticed something was wrong with Y/n. They didn't talk much at all today and kept spacing out. When I went to check on them in the library, they were very dismissive about it and didn't tell me anything. I'm deciding to tell the others, so we can figure it out. I tell each of them separately to meet me in the dining room after bedtime. They all arrive at 9:36 pm.

"What did you need to meet us for?" Gillian asks, yawning.

"It's about Y/n.." I answer.

"You noticed it too?" Zack asks, referring to their strange behavior.

"Yes, they've been acting differently today. I'm really worried, but they won't tell me anything.." I respond.

"They're probably just sad about Sage leaving. Or they're having those nightmares again," Oliver says.

"But they weren't even really close to Sage. Besides, they have never really gotten upset about one of our siblings getting adopted. It has to be something else. I just can't figure out what it would be.." I state.

"Let's just ask them tomorrow. They can't avoid all of us," Sandy suggests. We all agree and head back to bed.

~~~~~~~~~~

Y/n's Pov -  10:19 am, September 17th, 2039

I walk out of the classroom after finishing the daily test. I join my friends in sitting underneath our tree in our usual positions. I draw in my sketchbook for a while, until Oliver taps me on the shoulder.

"Come with me, we need to talk.." He whispers quietly, walking out into the forest. I follow him. When we reach our destination, he suddenly stops. I notice Paula, Sandy, Zack, Gillian, Nigel, Sonya, and Pepe already there waiting for us.

"What did you need to talk about?" I ask them.

"What happened the other night?" Zack asks in a serious tone.

"What do you mean?"

"What happened at the gate?" Paula asks. I stay silent.

"We can tell something happened there, so just tell us what it was," Sonya orders.

"Nothing happened, everything's fine! Don't worry about me. It'll be a waste of time anyways," I lie.

"Shut up!" Gillian yells, hitting me on the head. "You're not a waste of time, you're our friend! We know something's wrong, so just tell us!"

"I can't," I say.

"What do you mean "you can't?" You're our friend, you can tell us anything!" She says, determined to get an answer from me.

"I'm sorry, but I can't tell you. Trust me, it's for the best that you don't know.." I say as I turn and make my way back to the house. I feel their eyes follow me as I disappear out of their sight.

Mom's bell rings shortly after they arrive. We all go inside for dinner. My friends and I sit at the table, this time in a tense silence that all of us were afraid to break. After dinner, we change into our pajamas and go to bed. I decide to sleep instead of going to Mom tonight. Gillian decides to sleep in my bed again, even though things were tense right now. We both slowly drift off to sleep in complete silence.