~Alliances~

7:02 AM, January 28th, 2046

The golden light of sunrise floods into our room through the latticed window. The thin white sheets drape over our bodies loosely, messed up from moving in our sleep. Both Paula and I slowly wake up, our limbs intertwined as we are wrapped around each other. I try to get out of bed, but I am pulled back down before I can get far. Her arms tighten around my waist, pulling me closer to her. She buries her face into the back of my neck. 

"Paula, we have to get up," I say softly. She responds by wrapping herself around me further while mumbling reluctantly.

"We have to help them with the last minute stuff. Besides, I'm pretty sure the hunt's today.."

She finally lets me out of her grasp. We uncover ourselves from the white sheets, remaking the bed before getting dressed. I finish by pulling on my thick vermillion sweater as Paula ties her hair up. I throw the leather bag over my shoulder, the metal pins clinking against each other as it moves.

Paula grabs my hand gently and leads us out the door. We walk down the street, still tired as we force ourselves to get up early enough to help the others. The sun peeks between the alleyways of the building, still not fully up. Our footsteps echo across the brick-lined streets, with nothing to cover up our noises due to everyone else being asleep. The faint smells of the dew on the grass and smoke from the chimneys on the roofs fill the air. The windmill comes into sight as we continue down the road. 

Our final hunt is in a few days. So far, almost all of our preparations are complete, just a few minor ones need to be done, along with recruiting the new kids who've just arrived. Nigel's already made the number of bullets we need for our plan. Zack and Sandy have made sure that there are plenty of medical supplies and people who know how to use them when someone inevitably gets injured. Pepe and Paula have prepared food for our week-long trip to the shelter. The only thing that's left is to make sure everyone's memorized the plan and has a backup one, in case things go wrong and we couldn't predict their moves well enough.

~~~~~

Branches creak loudly as I jump from tree to tree, trying to spot other kids to help.  Luce's voice rings throughout the forest, along with the cries of a few children. As I near him, I see a hatchet struck through an old stump. I jump down and grab it. Holding the hatchet firmly, I sprint over to Luce and his victims. Looking at all of them, they seem familiar, but I ignore that for the moment. I throw the hatchet at Luce's middle eye. Grabbing the children's hands, I run until we're out of their sight, not even looking back to see whether my attack worked. Once we get far enough from them, the oldest one speaks up. 

"Thank you for saving us from them. What's your name?"

"It's no problem. My name's Y/n."

"...Y/n? Are you from Grand Valley?"

"Yeah--"

"Y/n!!" I barely get a warning before being tackled in a hug. Looking down, I recognize the messy orange hair.