~Reality Sinking In~

Oliver's Pov - October 25th, 2040 

I wake up as I hear Mom's bell ringing downstairs. I stretch before getting out of bed. I put on the snow-white uniform, along with the soft red sweater Y/n had gotten me last year for my birthday. Today was my 12th birthday and adoption day. It was going to be one of the best days for me ever, so far. I hope my family will let me visit my friends here. Especially Y/n and Zack, they were my best friends. I don't know how I could live for long without them with me. Hopefully, once they get adopted, we can visit with each other and still hang out. I grab the picture of all of us that Y/n had given me a long time ago and put it into my pocket. Zack sneaks up behind me and scares me. 

"Happy birthday! Race you downstairs!" He says before quickly running out the door. 

We race down to the dining hall and start rough-housing.  

"Oliver, Zack, stop fighting and help start breakfast!" Mom scolds us. 

"Fine...This isn't over though, we'll finish this later!" I say to Zack before walking over to Y/n to help them cook. Zack goes to set the tables with Paula and Sandy. 

"Good morning, Oliver. Happy Birthday," Y/n says calmly. 

"Thanks! What do I need to help with?" I ask. We cook together while conversing. I feel my face heat up each time they smile or laugh. 

'Why am I being like this? They're just a friend!' I think, scolding myself for thinking like that about them. 

After we finish breakfast, we sit together and talk like normal. Although, I still find myself staring at them for longer than I mean to. Once they notice, they begin to get flustered and start playing with their clothing/hair. Zack nudges me with his elbow. 

"You like them, don't you?" He whispers to me teasingly. 

"N-no, we're just friends," I say. 

'Why did I just stutter? I never stutter! Why would that make me embarrassed? They're just a friend, I have nothing to be embarrassed about!' I ask myself internally. 

The rest of our friend group seems to notice this, other than Y/n. They're currently spacing out, seeming really flustered. 

We finish eating breakfast, Y/n and I both not talking much. We then all go to our classroom and do our daily tests. That's one of the very few things I won't miss about the farm. Sure, I was smart enough to get it right, but I still don't like doing it. Mom announces that Y/n, Zack, Paula, and I had gotten perfect scores again. We go outside for our free time. Y/n seems to be a bit down today, although I'm sure it's just because they're upset about me leaving. I should probably check in on them before I leave though. 

We all sit under the tree and chat like usual, but Y/n's much quieter today. I nudge them in the side.

"You okay?" I ask quietly.

They nod hesitantly before going back to what they were doing. I wasn't convinced by that. I'll ask them later tonight when we're not around everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~

Y/n's Pov - 8:37 pm, October 25th, 2040 

I walk up to Oliver's door and gently knock. He opens the door and invites me to sit next to him on the bed. 

"Hey, I can tell something's up. What's wrong?" He asks. 

I feel the tears build up in my (e/c) eyes. I hug him tightly and bury my head into his shoulder so he doesn't see them. He hugs me back gently, running one of his hands up and down my back.