~Hide And Seek~

6:27 am, November 12th, 2045

My (e/c) eyes flutter open as I slowly wake up. I glance around the room, first looking across the room at the other bed. I realize quickly that it is empty. I look down to find Paula sleeping soundly, her head rested against my chest and my fingers intertwined in her hair. Her mask must have fallen off of her face as she was sleeping. My face grows warm and my heart begins to speed up.

Fuck, here we go again.

Damn it, why do I always do this shit? Yet again, we're probably going to die soon, and my brain decides it's the perfect fucking time to fall in love.

Her light grey eyes flutter open as she wakes up. After a moment of realization, she lifts her head off of my chest, her face slowly beginning to fade to red. She must've noticed her face heating up the same as mine because she quickly picked up her mask and covered it.

"Y/n, I am so sorry. I-I didn't mean to fall asleep on you.."

"It's fine, Paula, I don't mind," I assure her. "It actually reminds me of when you used to fall asleep on me back at Grand Valley in the library."

"Well, uh, I'm going to go start cooking breakfast. Meet you in the town in a bit, bye," She says quickly.

"WhydidIdothat?WhydidIdothat?WhydidIdothat?" Paula mutters to herself as she rushes out the door.

I force myself out of the bed, not even allowing myself to process the prior situation. Throwing on my clothes, I notice a note and what felt like a film that had been put into the pocket of my jacket. I pull it out and examine it.

Hey Y/n, have a good night with Paula? ;)
Anyways, we need you to meet up in the windmill as usual. I wanted to hang out today before we start to get really serious about the preparations for the rebellion.
-Nigel

Shit.

The picture is of Paula and I. Her head is laid on my chest as my arms are wrapped around her protectively. My face is already searing with the heat of my embarrassment. I sigh before placing the note and the picture back into my pocket. I throw my leather bag over my shoulder before heading over to the windmill.

As I'm walking through the town, I watch some of the children running around and playing carelessly. One runs up to me, holding something behind their back. I recognize them from the first hunt I had gone through. I had to save them from Luce's childish game.

"Hi, um, I made you this to thank you for saving me. I hope you like it," The child says in a soft-spoken voice.

They hold out the flower crown. It was mainly made of miscellaneous wildflowers, but in it were a few delicate iris flowers. Their vibrant blue petals stood out atop the other white and pale yellow flowers. I gently take the flower crown from the child and place it on top of my head.

"Thank you so much. It's beautiful, you did very nicely," I praise them calmly, patting their head. They look up at me with a bright smile and giggle before trotting off with their friends.

Their bright smile reminds me of Emma... I hope they have escaped safely by now. All of them. I know it's illogical to take them all, but they could at least take everyone 8 and above. That way they could pull their own weight, unlike the smaller children.

I continue walking toward the windmill. Its wooden blades can be heard creaking in the distance as the wind spins them slowly. The clicking of my cork-colored boots seems to ring out into the silence. I knock on the door and Adam lets me in. He shuts the door behind me, the chains of the lock rattling as he redoes it.