Ruined

Daryl was there, and it looked like he was just staring at himself in the mirror; his face a mask of horror as he analyzed himself. He wasn’t wearing a shirt and he looked so thin, each one of his ribs visible. My heart twisted as I shook my head, how could I not notice how thin he had gotten? He always said that he ate a lot at work so I never really questioned why he didn’t eat at home, but how could I’ve not noticed? What is he even doing in here? I looked at the bathroom counter a brown paper bag was ripped open, along with some plastic bags, white granules all over the sink along with two or three lighters. What is that? I was about to ask him if there was anything wrong when he suddenly punched the mirror, a vicious scream exploding from his throat. I quickly covered my mouth with my hand to stop myself from screaming. His fist came back bloody and his nostrils flared.

“STOP IT!” He yelled, punching the glass again.

“SHUT UP!” He punched the mirror again.

“I’LL KILL YOU!” Another punch.

A tear slid down my cheek as this continued, his knuckles getting completely carved up after every swing; after about two more blows I couldn’t stand it. I pushed the door open and ran to him, grabbing his arm before he could deliver another punch to the mirror.

“Daryl! What are you doing? Stop it!” I cried, tears streaming down my face, “What is wrong with you?!”

“GET OFFA ME!” He screamed, his eyes completely sunken in as he pushed me out of the bathroom and into the hall, my back slamming into the wall. I landed in a heap on the floor my head spinning.

“Daryl!” I whimpered as he walked towards me, the vicious look not leaving his face. “Daryl. Stop.” I added a little more sternly. He hesitated for a minute, a mask of confusion coming over his face before continuing towards me, “Daryl!” I yelled, standing up. I need to be confident. I need to take control. “What is wrong?”

“HE TOLD ME!” He screamed, his nose touching mine, I flinched but tried to keep eye contact, “HE TOLD ME EVERYTHING!” I was about to ask him who, but his hand whipped out and grabbed my neck. My eyes widened as my chest burned. Complete surprise rooted itself within me. What? What is he doing? He can’t be doing this. This can’t be happening. Not to me. Not me. Not again. He lifted me a couple inches off the ground as I tried to scream at him, but nothing came out as my vision started to darken. “HE TOLD ME, YOU CHEATING WHORE! I KNEW IT! I KNEW IT!” He threw me into the living room and I landed like a ragdoll, my limbs going limp as my body ached.

“What are you talking about?” I croaked, barely able to lift my head off the ground. Why can’t I fight him? I can, I reassured myself, I can. I stood up and tried to focus, but everything was blurry. I tried to brace myself against the wall, but Daryl grabbed my shoulder and flung me down to the floor. No, I can’t fight him. I’ve never properly fought outside of a gym. I can’t do this. I can’t do thi

“I knew you were cheating on me, slut!” He yelled, a little quieter as he set a kick to my stomach. I yelped, sliding across the floor a couple feet. “All those years as a dirty whore; I knew you picked up those traits! I knew it!” I gripped my gut, my breath trapped in my lungs. I wheezed as I tried to stand up again, my eyes burning with salty tears, but he was already to me, “He told me everything!” He grabbed my shoulders and picked me up before slamming me over into the front door, “Everything!”

Tears were falling from his eyes now as he sank to his knees, pulling me up into the sitting position with one hand and sent a punch to the right side of my face with the other. My whole face stung as he pulled his fist back again, but I shot my hand out and jabbed at his Adams apple weakly, but it was just enough to daze him for a moment. I can do this. He was dazed just long enough for me to reach up and try to open the front door. My hand didn’t cooperate with my mind and I missed the doorknob. I swore as Daryl was back up, grabbing my shoulders and throwing me into the living room.