Recovery

Sara’s POV

Once Melanie fell asleep all hell broke loose,

“What do we do?!” Pj whispered fiercely from the front passenger’s seat,

“I don’t know?!” Dan almost yelled (who was sitting on Phil’s right), struggling to keep his voice down. The car made a sharp left turn,

“I’m taking her to the hospital!” Chris said, going maybe 30 miles over the speed limit. I looked at Melanie sadly from Phil’s other side, pushing her hair out of her face as her blue lips quivered,

“No,” Phil muttered, “The house is closer, take us there!” He added a little louder.

“She has hypothermia!” Chris yelled, speeding up even more,

“It’s only a mild case! I had hypothermia once, about five years ago, it’s better to just take her home and get her in a hot bath; the hospital is at least two hours away.” Sara nodded in agreement as she shrugged off her jumper, draping it over Melanie's bare legs.

Poor girl.

Chris groaned as he slammed on the brakes, everyone jutting forward, almost smashing their faces into whatever was in front of them,

“Easy, Chris! God Damnit!” Dan screeched, holding his nose.

“Well!?” He yelled back, but Sara just stared at Melanie,

“We’re almost there, baby girl. Just hang on.” She whispered. Chris slammed the brakes again as they pulled into the parking lot. Everyone jumped out of the car at once and ran into the elevator, huddling around Melanie, trying to keep her warm.

“Pj, run a bath when we get there. I think Dan left the door unlocked.” Phil said, clutching her to his chest like she was his life line. The look in Phil’s eyes made it seem like he was going to lose it any moment.

He cares for her so much. I wonder if Melanie’s ever noticed.

Dan nodded, confirming Phil’s statement. The elevator stopped and we all piled out, Dan and Chris running for everyone’s duvet covers as Sara and Phil snuggled with her on the floor in the hall while Pj ran to the bathroom. Chris and Dan ran back, their arms completely full of giant comforters and even little crochet things, and dropped them on top of Phil, Sara, and Melanie before joining the three, huddling around Melanie like a group of penguins. She started shivering. Making everyone hold her closer.

“It’ll be okay.” Phil whispered, kissing her forehead, “You’ll be okay.”

Pj emerged from the bathroom five minutes later and Phil stood up with Melanie, Sara trailing behind him. Phil sat Melanie down on the toilet and hesitantly left, leaving Sara to take blankets off of her and gently lay her in the hot tub, making sure to keep her head above the water.

She gasped as she noticed the endless amount of scars that trailed up and down her body, most of them looking like jagged and messy cuts. She felt a couple tears fall from her eyes as she took a loofah and started gently cleaning her, getting all of the dirt and grit off of her body.

“Phil?” She called once she was done. The water was getting a little cold. He immediately cracked opened the door; he was probably pacing in front of it the whole time.

“Yeah?” He asked through crack, not looking in,

“Get me some of your clothes, the waters cooling down.” She said as she started to let the water down. Phil came back a couple minutes later, sticking only his arm in the bathroom as he held out a sweater and a pair of his boxers. Sara draped a towel over Melanie once the tub was empty and grabbed the clothes from Phil, giving him a quick thank you before closing the door. She gently got her dressed, being as slow and careful as she could before calling Phil back in. He picked her up and brought her into his room while everyone followed with the blankets. He gently placed her down and everyone cuddled around her, wrapping her up with blankets. Phil and Sara took her sides and Chris, Dan, and Pj laid down around her legs, hoping she’ll be okay when she woke up.