Getting Better

We drove to the complex in silence, me barely being able to contain my nervousness the whole way there. I hope it doesn’t take long to get all of my stuff. I reminded myself that Pj will be with me, which eased me a bit. The vespa slowed to a stop and took a calming breath. It’s like, what? 11 p.m.? He’s probably not even up yet. Pj grabbed my hand as we approached the steps to the building, caressing my hand with his thumb,

“It’ll be okay.” He reassured with a smile. I nodded a bit. God, I hope so. We went up the elevator and soon where in front of my door. I took a deep breath and knocked, holding Pj’s hand tightly. It’ll be fine. We’re all good. Everything’s fine. The door opened and I saw Daryl's bitter face come into view. He pushed the door all the way open and made a big (somewhat sarcastic) gesture, motioning for us to come in. I stood frozen for a second, but Pj started walking in, gently pulling me along.

 “Who’s he?” Daryl muttered, eyeing our clasped hands. I was about to answer but Pj beat me to it.

“I’m sorry, that’s not something we care to discuss.” He said softly, leading me back to where the bedroom is, leaving Daryl speechless. He let go of my hand once we entered the room, which was still trashed, as well as the rest of the apartment, and scratched his head, “What do we need to get?” I pulled out my yellow suitcase and opened it before starting to pile some clothes in it.

“I have no idea where anything is. Everything’s a mess.” I muttered digging under books and broken shelves, looking for more of my clothes. “Just dig around and ask me if it’s mine I guess.” In about an hour I got everything out of the bedroom (including my wallet! Yay!). Which, to be honest, wasn’t a lot. The only things I kept in the bedroom were clothes, of which I didn’t really have a lot. Next I held my breath and went into the bathroom, gazing at the broken mirror. I tore away from it after a couple seconds and grabbed my hair soap and lotions along with my tooth paste and tooth brush. I went to the bathroom door where Pj was holding the bag open for me and tossed it in before going under the sink and pulling out my makeup bag, glancing at my pads and tampons in the back corner.

Hadn’t really needed those in a while, I mused, maybe I could go a bit longer? My periods where never regular, ever since I was a young teen. Daryl made me go to the doctors for it—they said that I could never have a baby. It was heart breaking for me. I remember locking myself in my room for days. Just staring out the window. But Daryl was always supportive about it, he said that we didn’t need a child to be happy. But I always felt like I couldn’t give him anything. Before we always talked about having a family, it was what we both wanted. But I couldn’t give him that. The one thing I wanted in this world was a family, and that was the one thing I could never have. Adoption isn’t an option for me because of my record; I can barely support myself—let alone a child.

I shook my head of those thoughts and grabbed the pads anyway. If I didn’t, then I would probably need some next week and cause the most embarrassing conversation to ever exist between me and a male. I blinked hard as I tossed them into the bag, giving Pj a warning look.

“We do not speak of this.” I said before turning into the mess that was the living room. I placed my hands on my hips and looked around, trying to think of anything important that was in here… but then it hit me. The picture. My picture. I sped walked over to Daryl, who was in the kitchen and gave him a worried look.

“Where’s the picture?” I asked, panic making my hands shake. I can’t lose it. He looked at me, a bit confused for a second, before his gaze softened and realization crossed over his features. He turned swiftly and opened the cupboard right above his head, reaching into the back and then pulling out a small picture. He turned around and held it out to me. I snatched it away from him and looked at my mothers’ face, my knees going weak. I gingerly caressed her face. She was so beautiful. This is the only picture I have of her.