Meeting the 'Friend'

My heart stopped as I let Phil’s words sink in. She’s here. I never thought she’d be here.

“I’ll be right back.” I said in a rush, quickly escaping (almost running) down the hall, my stomach knotting up.

Why is she here? Is she going to move in with him? Are they really that serious? I pushed Dan’s bedroom door open and closed it quietly behind me, my mind spinning. She’s so pretty; no wonder why Phil’s dating her. I shook my head at myself as I went to a mirror that hung securely on the wall. One cheek had a yellow bruise and the other had a big purple one. I looked up a bit and got a view of my chin, a red welt under it. A couple tears slide down my face as I stared helplessly at myself. How could anyone like someone as damaged as me? Emotionally or physically—I’m both.

I quickly wiped the tears. Now’s not the time. I already look like shit.

“As always.” I whispered, getting angry at myself. I don’t even know why. I just felt… disgusted with myself. I’m never good enough for anyone, am I? I shook my head again and sat on Dan’s bed, bringing my knees up to my chest.

I don’t want to go back out there. I don’t want to face him and Sofia being all lovey-dovey with each other. I heard the door creak open and hope filled my chest as I thought of Phil. Maybe he’s coming to check on me. Maybe he does actually care. But all that hope disintegrated as a red fluff of hair appeared from around the door. At least someone cares though…

“Hi.” I said, trying to keep my voice light. I relaxed my knees and tried to look more casual.

“‘Ello,” She said with a wave as she came over and sat next to me, “Don’t like new people?” She added with a smile.

“Yup.” I lied, looking down at my toes—the nails a nice yellow color. And yes, I know I’m not wearing socks… they’re for losers, “Who is she anyway?” I asked, feeling my stomach twist at the thought of her.

“I’m not too sure,” Sara mused, laying back on the bed, “I think Phil and Sofia grew up together, but then Phil moved here, so they never really saw each other much after that.”

“… So… Are they dating?” I choked out, afraid of what the answer might be. Sara broke out laughing, clutching her stomach, “What’s so funny?”

“Dan and Pj would shoot Phil if he ever dated her,” She said once she caught her breath, sitting up to look at me, “They absolutely hate her!” Relief flooded me as I took in that information. At least I’m not the only one who doesn’t like her.

But the only reason why I hated her was because I thought they were dating, right? Well then why do I still feel hostile towards her?

Well, at least they aren’t dating. Maybe he does love me back… I internally flinched at that word.

Love. I’ve never really been comfortable with the term. My mother is the only one who I dared to use it for. She’s the only person who I knew for a fact that I loved. Her and Daryl—though with him I always knew it was more of a brotherly kind of love; but then, once we started dating, I think it morphed itself into an infatuation.

But with Phil—it’s so different than that. It’s not just the butterfly feeling in your gut—it’s like I can be myself around him. I feel whole and completed. When I look into his eyes I feel like I can only truly smile for him. He makes everything feel okay, even when I’m at my worst. Everything feels right. It feels like everything is happening as it should.

“Hello?” I snapped out of my thoughts and turned to look at Sara,

“Hm?”

“I was asking you if you were ready to head back out.” I nodded, yeah. I can do this. Now that I know nothing serious is happening between them, I’m sure I can do this. We got up off the bed and made our way down the hall,