Incarcerated

Chris’ POV

Chris bit his lip as Cal shakily got to his feet, out of his wheelchair, hands tightly gripping two ballerina bars that were on either side of him.

“Okay, easy… easy…” His therapist whispered, her voice soft and smooth. Cal took a couple deep breaths and barely moved his left foot two inches before stopping, sweat pouring down his face.

“You’re doing good, hun.” Chris said from the left side of the bars, wringing his hands together, “Perfect.”

Another step.

“Now take it slow, you don’t want to exhaust yourself.” She warned, keeping her eyes trained on Cal’s bare back, a long stretch of black stitches reaching from the middle of it to the base.

“I’m ready.” Cal persisted, taking another step, still only inches in distance. “I can do this.” He added, his voice husky. “I have to do this.” Chris shook his head but didn’t say anything, crossing his arms in front of his chest. The doctors said that he only had a 25% chance of walking, 10% chance of walking without assistance.

His back was really messed up, but Chris knew that if anyone could do it, it’d be Cal. He’s a fighter. So was Melanie.

They have to make it. They will. 

Dan’s POV (First Person)

I’ve hurt her so much. I was sitting on the floor in front of the couch and watching Rose as she slept, her sunken face twisted in pain.

Nobody was home, thankfully. I don’t think she needs to be surrounded by people right now. Phil was with Melanie and Chris was with Cal in physical therapy. Sara took Pj to his group therapy session and nobody knew where Daryl, Victor, or Anthony were. They come and visit Melanie as often as they can, but with Victor’s picture in the newspaper, it’s getting increasingly difficult.

I gently reached out and touched her blonde hair, looking dry and kind of like hay as it spread about the couch cushion. Jason was sitting in the chair next to the couch and made an uneasy noise as my hand made contact.

“I’m not going to hurt her.” I whispered, my voice barely audible.

“Too late for that.” He grumbled. My chest ached at how right he was. I didn’t mean to, though. I… I didn’t know what I was thinking. I was just so hurt, I felt so betrayed. My other hand made its way to my gut where a bug medical bandage was, covering my stitches. I didn’t know what to think. She lied to us all and caused a lot of trouble.

“It wasn’t her fault, you know.” Jason added, seeming to be reading my mind. “For what happened to you and your friends. She wasn’t the one who contacted Dr. Tracy to take Melanie or Phil. That was all Sofia.”

“But she could’ve told us.” I accused, though I didn’t really stand behind my statement.

“How would you have reacted?” He countered, sitting forward and resting his elbows on his knees, “It would’ve ended a lot worse. She got you out of there, didn’t she? She saved all of your lives. But you couldn’t keep that in mind, huh? All you could think of doing was ripping her apart. Congratulations, you did it.” I gently removed my hand from her head, a strangled moan leaving her throat.

In one swift motion Rose was off the couch and running to the trash bin, emptying her stomach. Jason was on his feet and pulling her hair out of her face a second later, rubbing her back.

“Shhh, shhh. It’s okay. Everything’s okay…” He whispered as she quietly sobbed, making my vision blur with tears. I did this.

I slowly got to my feet and went over to the two, trying to keep silent, not wanting to disturb her too much.