Chapter 11: It's Christmas, Christmas!

Today's Christmas!

Every year, my friends and I had the same routine set for Christmas celebrations. Let me tell you all about it. First, we met at Café Rustic for breakfast. Their Christmas treats and drinks were to die for. Then, we would go to the 'Little Sunshine', an orphanage and 'Silver Innings' home for the elderly.

There we would spend time with the kiddos and the elders. People would think they were unfortunate to not have a loving family. That they would never be happy. But that was far from the truth.

Together they were one big happy family. One could see the love between the kiddos and the elders. Whenever we visited them, they treated us as a part of them too. It's true what they say, 'You don't have to have the same blood to be family.'

Kids were really fascinated with the idea of Santa Claus. Every year, we would buy them treats and gifts and spend the whole day with them. The feeling of making others happy with your acts and giving something back to society was incredible.

After getting ready, I grabbed my set of presents and left for the café. The bell chimed when I entered the cafe. Ved and Dhruva were already at the table, killing time till the rest of us arrived. Even though we had extended our invite to Dhruva yesterday, I did not think he would join us. As this was his first time joining us after ages, I was a bit surprised to see him there. I took a moment to pull myself together and approached the table.

I greeted, "Hey! Good Morning. Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas," Ved replied while giving me a hug.

"Merry Christmas."

"Where are the rest?"

Dhruva replied, "On their way. Will be here in a few."

With that, we ordered our regulars and waited for the three. Our breakfast arrived ten minutes after our friends came. As usual, the food and beverages were delicious. We packed some for the kids.

Since we were carpooling, we placed the gifts in the trunk of the car and departed.
Both the orphanage and elderly home were on the same premises. When we reached, the kids were playing on the playground while the elders were busy chatting. As soon as they saw us coming, they screamed and rushed to hug us.

"Didi" "Dada" was all you could hear. The caretakers, after hearing that came to our rescue. It took a lot to calm them down.

Yash, a shy boy, asked Priyank, "Who is this dada?" while pointing at Dhruva.

"He's our friend. He is here to play with you. Will you guys play with him too?"

"Yes!" they yelled.

After giving out hugs to each of them, we went to greet the elders. Then after a while, the caretakers helped us to bring the presents and treats inside. Everyone was gathered, and it was time to hand out fresh treats. They started gobbling up the food. And we had to slow them down.

After having treats, we spent time playing with the kids. We played a few rounds of hiding and seek, lock and key and football. Their shrieks of laughter always warmed our hearts. They became tired soon, and it was time to move our party indoors. Drawing and painting for us was something they enjoyed. So, that was next.

When they were occupied, we played Antakshari with the elders. Hearing them sing the classics was lovely. From Rafi Sahab, Lata Mangeshkar to Kishor Kumar, Manna Dey. Even at this age, they had the same spirit in them. Some danced too. Our joy had no bound seeing their happiness.

The kids were eager to show us their artwork. By the time they were done, it was time for lunch. Later, when the kids were put down for an afternoon nap, we sat with our evergreen elders to hear their stories and experiences.

We had decorated the indoors while the kids slept. After they were up, it was time for Santa's arrival. All were dressed for the Christmas party, wearing fancy outfits with party hats. Music was playing in the background.

When Santa arrived, the kids knew what was coming next.

PRESENTS!!

Kids began unwrapping the presents as soon as they received them. After the unwrapping party, it was time for some fun and games. Prizes were distributed.
What's Christmas without some cake?
So, the special cake was cut. After having cake and some snacks, we left for home.
When I reached home, I spent the rest of my day having treats and some hot chocolate while watching Christmas movies.

__________________________________________

Author's Note:
Hello guys!
How are you finding the book so far?
Stay tuned for more.
Thanks for reading!
- Mitali